AMD Ahmedabad Airport Info & Guide
Where is Ahmedabad Airport?
Not often visited by tourists, Ahmedabad poses a mixture of rich tradition and modern feel. Once a cradle of the non-violent movement for India's independence, Ahmedabad was host to the Sabarmati ashram of Mahatma Gandhi.
Ahmedabad is famous for the Navaratri festival, dedicated to the worship of the Hindu deity Durga. Lasrting 10 days, it is considered to be the longest dance festival on earth.
Ahmedabad Airport (IATA: AMD, ICAO: VAAH), officially Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel International Airport or Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Airport, also referred to as Amdavad Airport, SVPI Airport or AMD Airport, serves two cities: Ahmedabad (Amdavad) and Gandhinagar, in the state of Gujarat, India. The airport is named after Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, a statesman and former Deputy Prime Minister.
Expected to have served 9 million passengers in 2012, Ahmedabad Airport is India's 8th busiest airport.
Airlines serving AMD include Air Arabia, Air India, Blue Dart, Deccan, Emirates, Etihad Airways, FlyDubai, GoAir, IndiGo, Jet Airways, JetKonnect, Kingfisher, Qatar Airways, Saudia, Singapore Airlines and SpiceJet.
Destinations served from AMD include Agartala, Abu Dhabi, Bangalore, Bhavnagar, Bhopal, Chandigarh, Chennai, Coimbatore, Delhi, Dibrugarh, Doha, Dubai, Goa, Guwahati, Hyderabad, Indore, Jaipur, Jamnagar, Jeddah, Kandla, Kochi, Kolkata, Kuwait, Lucknow, Mumbai, Muscat, Nagpur, New York (Newark), Patna, Pune, Raipur, Ranchi, Sharjah, Singapore and Surat.
Your best bet for a Ahmedabad Airport transfer is a pre-paid taxi. Details on all options are included in this guide.
Other Items of Interest at Ahmedabad Airport
The new AMD International terminal is connected to the Domestic terminal by an underground moving walkway.
AMD services include:
- Medical facility
- Mobile phone charging - Departures, both terminals
- Postal service - Domestic Departures
- Tourist information
- Duty free
- Book shop
- Child care room - Domestic terminal only
When departing, try not to arrive too early. AMD International terminal hours are limited, and may not open until late afternoon (it is not open 24 hours). Regardless, if you are too early, you may be denied entry until 3 hours before your scheduled flight. If you have a layover at AMD, connecting between a domestic and an international flight, you may be forced to wait outside (!) for several hours, along with the touts. Tip: there is a snack bar outside the International terminal.
In June 2013, a news story revealed that there a proposal to add a medical tourism counter at Ahmedabad Airport.
Official AMD Ahmedabad Airport Website Links
More Ahmedabad Airport Transfer & Airport Connection Options
- Ahmedabad Airport Information
- Ahmedabad Airport Distance to City Centre
- Ahmedabad Airport Currency Exchange
- Ahmedabad Airport ATM & Cash Machines
- Ahmedabad Airport Wireless Internet Access
- Ahmedabad Airport Maps
- Ahmedabad Airport Flights, Arrivals, & Airlines
- Ahmedabad Airport Taxi Service
- Ahmedabad Airport Onsite Hotels
- Ahmedabad Airport Private Transfer Services
- Ahmedabad Airport Shared Shuttle Transfers
- Ahmedabad Airport Location & Address
- Ahmedabad Airport Train & Subway
- Ahmedabad Airport Hotel Shuttle Transfers
- Ahmedabad Airport Shuttle
- Ahmedabad Airport Buses & Coaches
- Ahmedabad Airport Limo & Private Car Transfers
- Ahmedabad Airport Car Hire/Car Rental
- Ahmedabad Airport Other Ground Transportation
- Ahmedabad Airport Parking & Passenger Pickup
- Ahmedabad Airport Stopover & Layovers
- Closest Airports to AMD Ahmedabad Airport
- Ahmedabad Airport Services & Amenities