Florence Airport Car Rental Advice & Driving Tips
Florence Airport Car Rental Desk Locations
Various Florence Airport rental car companies operate on-site.
Look for their Florence Airport car hire desks in the Arrivals hall.
Florence Airport Car Rental Companies
Florence Driving Information
An International Drivers' Permit (or IDP) may be required, especially if your local drivers' licence is in a language other than the local language (you may inquire when you pick up your car).
As with many of Italy's largest and most historic cities, the roads were not built for heavy traffic and so jams are frequent and often frustrating.
Driving in the historic center - inside the wide "viale" where the old city walls were (and still are, on the southern side of the Arno)- is strictly prohibited, except for residents with permits. Enforcement is by camera, and is ferociously efficient. If you drive in the prohibited areas, you will be tracked down, and you will receive stiff fines in the mail.
Parking in garages and parking lots is expensive, costing €30 per night. There are three kinds of parking places on the street: white, yellow and blue. White is for residents only, yellow ones are reserved, so you can park only on the blue places. The price is €1 per hour and you have to pay from 8AM to 8PM (12 hours). Leave the ticket inside the car in a visible place. Attention: you need coins for the parking - the machine won't accept banknotes or cards. You can also find 'free' parking at all hours at "Piazzale Michelangelo" on the south side of the town. However, there are time limits for how long you can leave a car, which are rigidly enforced, and if you violate those limits, your car will be towed. It's about a 20 minute walk to the city centre (down the stairs and across the Arno). It has gorgeous views of the city as well.
Florence is connected by good highways to the rest of Italy. The easiest way to get in and out of the city from the A-1 Autostrada, which connects Florence to Bologna, Milan and the North, and to Rome and the South, is to use the "Firenze - Impruneta" exit. This is the same route for those leaving for or arriving from Siena on the "Fi-Si" highway. If you are arriving from or leaving for Pisa and the West on the A-11 Autostrada, it may be best to go by way of Firenze-Scandicci and use the A-1 to connect to and from the A-11.
Learn how to protect yourself when renting a car at Florence Airport.
Florence Airport Car Rental Recommendations
IHateTaxis.com has a mixed recommendation on a Florence Airport car rental
You don't need a car in Florence. If anything, it's an expensive extra hassle. If you want a car to tour to explore the region, consider just renting one for the time you need it.
More Florence Airport Transfer & Airport Connection Options
- Florence Airport Information
- Florence Airport Distance to City Centre
- Florence Airport Currency Exchange
- Florence Airport ATM & Cash Machines
- Florence Airport Wireless Internet Access
- Florence Airport Maps
- Florence Airport Flights, Arrivals, & Airlines
- Florence Airport Taxi Service
- Florence Airport Onsite Hotels
- Florence Airport Private Transfer Services
- Florence Airport Shared Shuttle Transfers
- Florence Airport Location & Address
- Florence Airport Train & Subway
- Florence Airport Hotel Shuttle Transfers
- Florence Airport Shuttle
- Florence Airport Buses & Coaches
- Florence Airport Limo & Private Car Transfers
- Florence Airport Car Hire/Car Rental
- Florence Airport Other Ground Transportation
- Florence Airport Parking & Passenger Pickup
- Florence Airport Stopover & Layovers
- Closest Airports to FLR Florence Airport
- Florence Airport Services & Amenities