HKT Phuket Airport Info & Guide
Where is Phuket Airport?
Suspended from the southern tip of Thailand's Phang Nga province, and connected by two short but substantial road bridges, lies Phuket Island. Situated 862 kilometres (535 miles) south of Bangkok, tourism, which has transformed Phuket into Thailand's wealthiest province.
Most beaches are on the west coast, with Phuket Town to the southeast. Phuket's west coast was hit severely by a tsunami in 2004, but almost no evidence of the damage remains. Phuket enjoys great popularity as a travel destination.
Phuket International Airport (IATA: HKT, ICAO: VTSP), or simply Phuket Airport, is situated north of Phuket City, the capital of Phuket province, in southern Thailand.
In 2011, Phuket Airport served 8,467,860 passengers, making it the 2nd busiest airport in Thailand. Already operating over capacity, HKT airport is currently undergoing a major expansion (projected completion: 2015).
A huge number of airlines fly to Phuket Airport, among them Aeroflot, Air Berlin, Air China, AirAsia, Austrian Airlines, Condor, Edelweiss Air, Emirates, Finnair, Malaysia Airlines, Philippine Airlines, Qatar Airways, Shanghai Airlines, SilkAir, Singapore, Thomas Cook Airlines, Tiger Airways and Virgin Australia, to name just a few.
Many cities have direct flights to Phuket Airport, including Abu Dhabi, Amsterdam, Beijing, Brussels, Budapest, Copenhagen, Doha, Dubai, Frankfurt, Helsinki, Hong Kong, Kiev, Kuala Lumpur, London, Milan, Moscow, Oslo, Perth, Rome, St. Petersburg, Seoul, Shanghai, Singapore, Sydney, Taipei, Tehran, Vienna and Zürich, plus many more.
IMPORTANT TIP: There are 2 major airports in Bangkok, which you need to pay attention to whenbooking your flights, as you don't want to transfer between the two (trust us on this one!). Thai Airways International and Bangkok Airways fly to Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK), whereas Nok Air and Orient Thai fly to Bangkok Don Mueang Airport (DMK).
Your best bet for a Phuket Airport transfer is the bus* (see note below). Details on all options are included in this guide.
Or, to truly arrive stress free, treat yourself to a private Phuket Airport transfer from IHateTaxis.
Note: The new Phuket Airport bus has experienced problems since commencing service mid-2013. Between protests by taxi and tuk-tuk drivers, a lack of signage in the airport itself, and sabotaged signs along the route, the bus is experiencing low ridership. Some trips are cancelled if there aren't any passengers. We continue to monitor the situation, and appreciate reports from travelers on the ground.
Official HKT Phuket Airport Website Links
More Phuket Airport Transfer & Airport Connection Options
- Phuket Airport Information
- Phuket Airport Distance to City Centre
- Phuket Airport Currency Exchange
- Phuket Airport ATM & Cash Machines
- Phuket Airport Wireless Internet Access
- Phuket Airport Maps
- Phuket Airport Flights, Arrivals, & Airlines
- Phuket Airport Taxi Service
- Phuket Airport Onsite Hotels
- Phuket Airport Private Transfer Services
- Phuket Airport Shared Shuttle Transfers
- Phuket Airport Location & Address
- Phuket Airport Train & Subway
- Phuket Airport Hotel Shuttle Transfers
- Phuket Airport Shuttle
- Phuket Airport Buses & Coaches
- Phuket Airport Limo & Private Car Transfers
- Phuket Airport Car Hire/Car Rental
- Phuket Airport Other Ground Transportation
- Phuket Airport Parking & Passenger Pickup
- Phuket Airport Stopover & Layovers
- Closest Airports to HKT Phuket Airport
- Phuket Airport Services & Amenities