FRA Frankfurt Airport Info & Guide
Where is Frankfurt Airport?
Frankfurt is one of the world's most important cities. Home of the European Central Bank, Frankfurt is the financial capital of Continental Europe. Frankfurt is a major European transportation hub, plus is one of the top cities for trade shows. Set upon the River Main, with some of the tallest highrises in Europe tucked into a fairly small city centre, Frankfurt's skyline has earned it the nickname Mainhattan.
Yet, Frankfurt is historic, and it boasts wonderful old buildings that are well preserved. There are numerous, wonderful museums in Frankfurt, attracting millions ever year. In Frankfurt, students rub shoulders with bankers... Welcome to one of the great cities of contrasts.
Frankfurt International Airport (IATA: FRA, ICAO: EDDF), also known as Fraport, or Frankfurt Main Airport, Frankfurt Airport, is located in Frankfurt, in the state of Hesse, in Germany. Frankfurt Airport is about 120 kilometres from Ramstein Air Base (RMS).
In 2012, Frankfurt Airport served 57,520,001 passengers, making it the 3rd busiest airport in Europe and the 9th busiest in the world.
In October 2012, a new terminal section adjacent to Terminal 1 opened (there are currently 2 terminals). The so-called Pier A-Plus increased FRA's capacity by 6 million passengers. A third terminal, with the capacity to handle 25 million passengers, will begin construction in 2013.
The top destinations served by Frankfurt Airport are Berlin, Hamburg, London, Vienna, Munich, Madrid, Chicago, Paris, Singapore and New York. But there are 265 more: FRA serves an amazing 275 destinations, in over 100 countries. That's one busy airport!
Frankfurt Airport is the main hub of Lufthansa, Germany's flag carrier, and of Condor Flugdienst.
On-site at Frankfurt Airport is THE SQUAIRE, a huge, new multi-use facility that opened in 2012. Built above the long distance train station (ICE), as many as 7,000 people work here. Lufthansa has offices here, there is a huge shopping facility, medical offices, and two hotels (the Hilton Hotel Frankfurt Airport Frankfurt am Main and the Hilton Garden Inn Frankfurt Airport). The Squaire is directly connected to Terminal 1 via a pedestrian corridor.
Frankfurt Main Airport is not to be confused with Frankfurt Hahn Airport (HHN), which is used by low cost carriers and is not in Frankfurt at all (it is 120 kilometres/75 miles away).
Your best bet for a Frankfurt Airport transfer is by train. Details on all options are included in this guide.
Or, to truly arrive stress free, treat yourself to a private Frankfurt Airport transfer from IHateTaxis.
Other Items of Interest at Frankfurt Airport
The Frankfurt Airport also offers:
- E-Pass Virtual Assistant
- FRA WebApp (also available in Chinese)
- FRA Airport iPhone App
- My Airport Guide, pre-booked a multilingual guides to accompany you through the airport (fee)
- Duty Free - pre-order at QR Code Walls
- HP ePrint Kiosk (print your documents from your SmartPhone for free, guide) - Terminal 1, Level 2, gate B43
- Visitors Terrace (adults EUR 3, kids free, open 10:00-18:00) - Terminal 2 (closed for renovations, reopens April 2015)
- Leisure Zones (designed for relaxation, free) - Terminal 1 (near Gates A50 and B43), Terminal 2 (near Gates D1-4)
- Airport Conference Centre
- Mail services
- Winter coat storage
- Dog Hotel
- Airport sightseeing tours
- Showers (EUR 6 fee, open 06:00-22:00) - Terminal 1 (3 locations: pre-security, transit zone and APlus), Terminal 2 (concourse D)
- Diaper changing rooms
- Free loaner strollers - pick-up T1: Concourse B (pre-security), or B Transit Zone (information counter 10); T2: between Concourses D and E (pre-security)
- Children's play areas
- Ecumenical Christian chapel - Terminal 1, Transit Area B *NEW*
- Airport shopping
- Airport casino
- Airport spas
- Night before check-in - offered by some airlines if you have a very early flight
- ... and The Squaire, a mega mixed-use facility built over the long distance train station, and connected to Terminal 1 via a pedestrian corridor
Download the airport's How To Get The Most Out of Your Layover Guide (PDF).
Official FRA Frankfurt Airport Website Links
Official FRA Frankfurt Airport Twitter Feed
More Frankfurt Airport Transfer & Airport Connection Options
- Frankfurt Airport Information
- Frankfurt Airport Distance to City Centre
- Frankfurt Airport Currency Exchange
- Frankfurt Airport ATM & Cash Machines
- Frankfurt Airport Wireless Internet Access
- Frankfurt Airport Maps
- Frankfurt Airport Flights, Arrivals, & Airlines
- Frankfurt Airport Taxi Service
- Frankfurt Airport Onsite Hotels
- Frankfurt Airport Private Transfer Services
- Frankfurt Airport Shared Shuttle Transfers
- Frankfurt Airport Location & Address
- Frankfurt Airport Train & Subway
- Frankfurt Airport Hotel Shuttle Transfers
- Frankfurt Airport Shuttle
- Frankfurt Airport Buses & Coaches
- Frankfurt Airport Limo & Private Car Transfers
- Frankfurt Airport Car Hire/Car Rental
- Frankfurt Airport Other Ground Transportation
- Frankfurt Airport Parking & Passenger Pickup
- Frankfurt Airport Stopover & Layovers
- Closest Airports to FRA Frankfurt Airport
- Frankfurt Airport Services & Amenities