Uganda Tipping Protocol, Uganda Gratuities, & Uganda Culture
- DO dress conservatively.
- DON'T wear shorts. They're not commonly worn in Uganda. Light pants are more suitable.
- DON'T walk around town in swim attire.
- DO wash your hands before eating.
- DO sit on a floor mat during a meal.
- DO expect a prayer to be said before you begin eating.
- DO understand that children will only talk during a meal if asked a question.
- DON'T leave the room during a meal.
- DON'T lean on your left hand or stretch your legs during a meal.
- DO compliment the mother after the meal is done.
- DON'T show public displays of affection, especially not homosexual displays of affection.
- DO shake hands upon meeting someone.
- DON'T criticize religion when conversing with a Ugandan.
Tipping of about 10% of the total bill is expected in restaurants and in taxis.
Our Uganda Tipping Recommendations
- Taxis and Limos: Tipping optional, 10%