Geneva Airport Car Rental Advice & Driving Tips
Geneva Airport Car Rental Desk Locations
There are 2 sections of Geneva Airport car hire facilities at the GVA Geneva International Airport: the Swiss Sector and the French Sector. The GVA Geneva International Airport has a French sector that enables passengers to enter or to leave France without having to transit via Swiss territory and a visa for Switzerland is therefore not required in this case.
Geneva Airport car rental desks in the Swiss sector are situated at the Arrival level, towards La Poste.
Geneva Airport Car Rental Companies
Geneva Driving Information
An International Drivers' Permit (or IDP) may be required, especially if your local drivers' licence is in a language other than the local language (you may inquire when you pick up your car).
Travelling around Geneva and Switzerland as a whole by car is straightforward, with numerous motorways, all of which are well maintained. Mountain roads can be extremely scenic, although only experienced drivers should consider these routes. Popular alternatives include tunnels through the Alps, such as the Grand St. Bernard tunnel to the south, between Bourg St. Pierra and Aosta in Italy, where a toll is payable. As with continental Europe, the Swiss drive on the right side.
Drivers in Switzerland drive on the right-hand side of the road and, because of the winter darkness, most people keep their headlights on dim even during the day. Drivers wishing to use motorways in Switzerland are obliged to purchase a small sticker or vignette which is displayed on the windscreen to indicate to the Swiss traffic authorities that the appropriate poll has been paid. If you are caught without a vignette there is a mandatory fine of 100 Swiss Francs.
Swiss road systems are generally good and extend across the length and breadth of the country. Driving enthusiasts will be able to enjoy many scenic routes around Switzerland taking in the towering snow-capped Swiss mountains and refreshing Swiss meadows along the way. However, those intending to drive in Switzerland in winter months should be aware of the heavy snowfall and make preparations accordingly.
All cars in Switzerland are fitted with snow tires or snow chains for obvious safety reasons. Because of the Swiss government’s ecologically minded policies, driving in Switzerland is not a cheap experience with drivers having to pay comparatively high prices for road tax and parking, especially in Switzerland’s main towns and cities.
Learn how to protect yourself when renting a car at Geneva Airport.
More Geneva Airport Transfer & Airport Connection Options
- Geneva Airport Information
- Geneva Airport Distance to City Centre
- Geneva Airport Currency Exchange
- Geneva Airport ATM & Cash Machines
- Geneva Airport Wireless Internet Access
- Geneva Airport Maps
- Geneva Airport Flights, Arrivals, & Airlines
- Geneva Airport Taxi Service
- Geneva Airport Onsite Hotels
- Geneva Airport Private Transfer Services
- Geneva Airport Shared Shuttle Transfers
- Geneva Airport Location & Address
- Geneva Airport Train & Subway
- Geneva Airport Hotel Shuttle Transfers
- Geneva Airport Shuttle
- Geneva Airport Buses & Coaches
- Geneva Airport Limo & Private Car Transfers
- Geneva Airport Car Hire/Car Rental
- Geneva Airport Other Ground Transportation
- Geneva Airport Parking & Passenger Pickup
- Geneva Airport Stopover & Layovers
- Closest Airports to GVA Geneva Airport
- Geneva Airport Services & Amenities