RAR Rarotonga Airport Info & Guide
Where is Rarotonga Airport?
The Cook Islands is an archipelago of 15 islands spread out over 2.2 million sq. km of ocean. Located in Polynesia, in the middle of the South Pacific Ocean, the Cook Islands lie between French Polynesia (Society Islands) to the east and Tonga to the west
With the same time zone and latitude as Hawaii, the Cook Islands are sometimes called "Hawaii down under". Some elderly visitors describe the Cook Islands as reminiscent of Hawaii before statehood and large scale tourism.
Rarotonga International Airport (IATA: RAR, ICAO: NCRG), also referred to as Avarua Airport, Cook Islands Airport or simply Rarotonga Airport is the main international Cook Islands airport. RAR Airport is located in Avarua, a town and district in the north of Rarotonga Island, the most populated of the Cook Islands. Rarotonga (or Raro to locals) is the national capital.
Rarotonga Airport has received signifigant recent investment in facilities, including a revamped terninal.
Airlines serving Rarotonga Airport include Air New Zealand, Air Rarotonga, Air Tahiti, Pacific Blue and Virgin Australia.
You can fly to the Cook Islands airport from Aitutaki, Atiu, Auckland, Christchurch, Los Angeles, Manihiki, Mauke, Mangaia, Mitiaro, Penrhyn Island, Papeete and Sydney.
Your best bet for a Rarotonga Airport transfer is the bus. Details on all options are included in this guide.
Other Items of Interest at Rarotonga Airport
There is a departure tax at the Rarotonga Airport. Adults are NZD 30 and children 2-11 years are NZD 15. This departure tax is always payable at the airport and NOT included in the ticket price. It must be bought from the Westpac Bank at the terminal. Payment can be done via credit card (i.e., Visa), but will be charged as a cash advance.
Services at the Rarotonga Airport include:
- Luggage storage (fee)
- Duty free
- Vending machine
- Pillars suitable for stringing up a hammock for a nap
Planespotting at Rarotonga Airport is a popular pasttime, due to the proximity of the runways to nearby roads.
Tip: the Aquarius Hotel, directly across the street, is great spot to have drinks or a bite to eat while waiting for a ideal for a late night flight (they have free WiFi too).
Official RAR Rarotonga Airport Website Links
More Rarotonga Airport Transfer & Airport Connection Options
- Rarotonga Airport Information
- Rarotonga Airport Distance to City Centre
- Rarotonga Airport Currency Exchange
- Rarotonga Airport ATM & Cash Machines
- Rarotonga Airport Wireless Internet Access
- Rarotonga Airport Maps
- Rarotonga Airport Flights, Arrivals, & Airlines
- Rarotonga Airport Taxi Service
- Rarotonga Airport Onsite Hotels
- Rarotonga Airport Private Transfer Services
- Rarotonga Airport Shared Shuttle Transfers
- Rarotonga Airport Location & Address
- Rarotonga Airport Train & Subway
- Rarotonga Airport Hotel Shuttle Transfers
- Rarotonga Airport Shuttle
- Rarotonga Airport Buses & Coaches
- Rarotonga Airport Limo & Private Car Transfers
- Rarotonga Airport Car Hire/Car Rental
- Rarotonga Airport Other Ground Transportation
- Rarotonga Airport Parking & Passenger Pickup
- Rarotonga Airport Stopover & Layovers
- Closest Airports to RAR Rarotonga Airport
- Rarotonga Airport Services & Amenities