Things to do in Auckland if you have a Auckland Airport Layover or Extended Auckland Airport Stopover
If you have an extended layover at the Auckland Airport or staying in town, why not consider getting out with some fun activities? We list a few here and there are many more on Auckland.LayoverIdeas.com.
AKL Auckland International Airport is about 20 km from downtown Auckland and there are numerous choices of ground transport to get you there in under half an hour so, if you are on a layover in Auckland there is a good deal of your transit city that you can experience, even in a few short hours.
If you can’t wait to taste some real food, why not head to the revolving restaurant at the top of the SkyTower in the Auckland CBD, and get to see most of Auckland at the same time. At 328 metre this building is the tallest man-made structure in the Southern Hemisphere. You can enjoy the 360 degree rotating restaurant and travel up in the glass-fronted elevators to the spectacular viewing platforms. If you are feeling adventurous, you can even SkyJump off the tower to experience New Zealand’s highest guide-cable-controlled base jump!
For something a little less hair-raising you could visit the Auckland Museaum where you can learn about the Maori culture and also see the largest, most complete and best preserved Tyrannosaurus Rex fossil ever found. The Auckland Museum covers a wide range of exhibits and will have something to interest everyone in your group.
For a bit of fresh air and to stretch your legs many visitors head out to Mount Eden, which is the highest non-man-made point in Auckland. Mt. Eden is a dormant eponymous volcano with a 50 metre deep bowl-like crater at the top and majestic views of the surrounding country. Mt Eden is 5 km south of the city centre and is visited regularly by tour buses which makes transport easy and affordable.
Botany Town Centre is just a 25 minute drive from AKL Auckland International Airport with buses and taxis the easiest means of transport. If it is shopping you are looking for then Botany Town Centre is the place to go. With over 160 stores, cafés and restaurants set among cobbled streets and picturesque piazzas, you will surely be able to shop til you drop, or at least until you have to head back to the airport for your onward flight.
As always, make sure you leave plenty of time to get back to the airport in time for your connecting flight and enjoy your transit city rather than whiling away the time leaning up against your luggage in the departures lounge.
More Auckland Airport Transfer & Airport Connection Options
- Auckland Airport Information
- Auckland Airport Distance to City Centre
- Auckland Airport Currency Exchange
- Auckland Airport ATM & Cash Machines
- Auckland Airport Wireless Internet Access
- Auckland Airport Maps
- Auckland Airport Flights, Arrivals, & Airlines
- Auckland Airport Taxi Service
- Auckland Airport Onsite Hotels
- Auckland Airport Private Transfer Services
- Auckland Airport Shared Shuttle Transfers
- Auckland Airport Location & Address
- Auckland Airport Train & Subway
- Auckland Airport Hotel Shuttle Transfers
- Auckland Airport Shuttle
- Auckland Airport Buses & Coaches
- Auckland Airport Limo & Private Car Transfers
- Auckland Airport Car Hire/Car Rental
- Auckland Airport Other Ground Transportation
- Auckland Airport Parking & Passenger Pickup
- Auckland Airport Stopover & Layovers
- Closest Airports to AKL Auckland Airport
- Auckland Airport Services & Amenities