Things to do in Bloemfontein if you have a Bloemfontein Airport Layover or Extended Bloemfontein Airport Stopover
If you have an extended layover at the Bloemfontein Airport or staying in town, why not consider getting out with some fun activities? We list a few here and there are many more on Bloemfontein.LayoverIdeas.com.
Bloemfontein is the Judicial Capital of South Africa and the capital city of the Free State Province. It is a city known for and named after its abundance of flowers, specifically roses, and is host to an annual rose festival. Perfectly situated for access to indoor, outdoor, cultural and historical attractions, there are plenty of activities to keep everyone happy while in Bloemfontein.
Free State Botanical Garden
With the name Bloemfontein literally translating as fountain of flowers, it almost goes without saying that these botanical gardens are worth a visit. Smooth meandering paths take visitors through and around gardens featuring over 400 species of plants as well as a 150 year old petrified tree. For the more adventurous, a walk up into the koppies is a great way to stretch your legs while taking in some indigenous flora.
Anglo Boer War Museum and Battlefields
If history is your passion and you have journeyed to South Africa to find out more about its fascinating but volatile history, Bloemfontein is a good place to be. With plenty of battlefield sites around the area, you will not be short of information or places to visit. To get a well rounded and informative view of the era, why not visit the Anglo Boer War Museum, where knowledgeable staff will be able to answer your questions and point you in the direction of the most interesting information and artefacts available. You will also be able to get directions to the famous battlefields.
The Cheetah Experience
It is not often that you get the opportunity to see a cheetah close up, let alone actually touch one, but at the Cheetah Experience in Bloemfontein, this is a sure thing. The Cheetah Experience is a big cat sanctuary that was founded to breed cheetah in the attempt to save the cat from extinction. Successfully bred cats are released into the protected wild in order that they can live as they are intended to. Aside from learning about this beautiful animal and interacting with the cubs, you can go on a game drive into the vast expanse of veld which is home to a wide variety of antelope and birds.
The Bloemfontein Waterfront is a shopping and entertainment complex located on the banks of an artificial lake called Loch Logan. With a range of restaurants, cinemas and shops to choose from there is plenty to keep everyone occupied. There is also an island in the lake which offers barbecue facilities and picnic sites if you want to try a true South African eating experience.
As always, make sure you leave plenty of time to get back to BFN Bloemfontein Airport in time for your connecting flight. Enjoy your transit city rather than whiling away the time leaning up against your luggage in the departures lounge.
More Bloemfontein Airport Transfer & Airport Connection Options
- Bloemfontein Airport Information
- Bloemfontein Airport Distance to City Centre
- Bloemfontein Airport Currency Exchange
- Bloemfontein Airport ATM & Cash Machines
- Bloemfontein Airport Wireless Internet Access
- Bloemfontein Airport Maps
- Bloemfontein Airport Flights, Arrivals, & Airlines
- Bloemfontein Airport Taxi Service
- Bloemfontein Airport Onsite Hotels
- Bloemfontein Airport Private Transfer Services
- Bloemfontein Airport Shared Shuttle Transfers
- Bloemfontein Airport Location & Address
- Bloemfontein Airport Train & Subway
- Bloemfontein Airport Hotel Shuttle Transfers
- Bloemfontein Airport Shuttle
- Bloemfontein Airport Buses & Coaches
- Bloemfontein Airport Limo & Private Car Transfers
- Bloemfontein Airport Car Hire/Car Rental
- Bloemfontein Airport Other Ground Transportation
- Bloemfontein Airport Parking & Passenger Pickup
- Bloemfontein Airport Stopover & Layovers
- Closest Airports to BFN Bloemfontein Airport
- Bloemfontein Airport Services & Amenities