Newark Airport Car Rental Advice & Driving Tips
Newark Airport Car Rental Desk Locations
There are various Newark Airport car rental companies situated at the EWR Newark International Airport. Courtesy telephones for Newark Airport car hire reservations are situated in the baggage reclaim areas of all terminals.
Newark Airport car rental companies are located on the Newark Airport property. To access the six car rental companies serving the airport:
- Take AirTrain to Station P3 for Avis, Hertz, and National
- Take AirTrain to Station P2 for Budget and Dollar
- Take AirTrain to Station P2 to obtain courtesy vehicles for Enterprise
Newark Airport Car Rental Companies
Newark Driving Information
An International Drivers' Permit (or IDP) may be required, especially if your local drivers' licence is in a language other than the local language (you may inquire when you pick up your car).
Newark is a large and busy city, with all of the usual traffic problems and congestion that you would expect. New Jersey drivers can also be aggressive and 'horn-happy' at times, although in most cases, renting a car and driving around the city is relatively straightforward.
The main roads in the city centre include the Central Avenue, Clinton Avenue, Harrison Avenue, Raymond Boulevard and Springfield Avenue. Parking spaces are easy to find around central Newark. The main parking garages and lots can be found along Clinton Street, Edison Place, Halsey Street, Lafayette Street and Market Street.
Driving around downtown Manhattan, however, is not for the fainthearted and only experienced drivers should consider driving through the main streets. Locals in New York are famous for their aggressive driving and overuse of the horn, with parking spaces being scarce to say the least.
Tip: Paying for tolls when using a rental car:
Check with your rental car agency to learn about their company policy for paying tolls. Some rental car companies provide E-ZPass® transponder tags. In those cases, be sure you understand how to use the transponders and learn about any fees or charges. Fees vary among rental car companies regarding unpaid tolls, so it is important to find out the specifics in advance.
If your rental car company does not provide a transponder, or if you do not want to use a rental car company tag, you have two options:
- Pay the toll using cash
- Pay the toll using your own E-ZPass® transponder
If you have an E-ZPass® account, and decide to use your own transponder, we do NOT recommend adding the rental car license plate number to your account.
Learn how to protect yourself when renting a car at Newark Airport.
More Newark Airport Transfer & Airport Connection Options
- Newark Airport Information
- Newark Airport Distance to City Centre
- Newark Airport Currency Exchange
- Newark Airport ATM & Cash Machines
- Newark Airport Wireless Internet Access
- Newark Airport Maps
- Newark Airport Flights, Arrivals, & Airlines
- Newark Airport Taxi Service
- Newark Airport Onsite Hotels
- Newark Airport Private Transfer Services
- Newark Airport Shared Shuttle Transfers
- Newark Airport Location & Address
- Newark Airport Train & Subway
- Newark Airport Hotel Shuttle Transfers
- Newark Airport Shuttle
- Newark Airport Buses & Coaches
- Newark Airport Limo & Private Car Transfers
- Newark Airport Car Hire/Car Rental
- Newark Airport Other Ground Transportation
- Newark Airport Parking & Passenger Pickup
- Newark Airport Stopover & Layovers
- Closest Airports to EWR Newark Airport
- Newark Airport Services & Amenities