Official LaGuardia Airport Taxi Service
Official LaGuardia Airport Taxi Recommendations
IHateTaxis.com has a mixed recommendation on the official LaGuardia Airport taxi service.
A taxi from La Guardia Airport is a convenient, albiet expensive, way to get to where you are going, if you can avoid the scams.(Read More about Official LaGuardia Airport Taxis Below)
Official LaGuardia Airport Taxi Rates & Fares
Typical LGA taxi fares are about:
Lower Manhattan USD 32-37 plus tolls Midtown Manhattan USD 25-37 plus tolls Uptown Manhattan USD 29-37 plus tolls Between terminals at LGA USD 5 - 10 Shea Stadium/Citi Field USD 10 - 15 Main St (Kew Gardens) USD 18 - 23 JFK Airport USD 32 - 35 Downtown Brooklyn USD 28 - 32 Co-op City USD 43 - 48 Bronx (The Hub) USD 20 - 25 Riverdale USD 35 - 42 Staten Island USD 65 - 72 Newark Airport USD 73 - 83 plus USD 17.50 surcharge Nassau/Westchester, NY Meter to NYC limit, PLUS 2X amount from city limit to final destination CT/Suffolk/NJ Price negotiated between passenger and driver at the start of trip N/W of Westchester Cty Price negotiated between passenger and driver at the start of trip
Please note all fares are per taxi, not per person.
Four passengers (five in minivans) is the limit for New York City cabs.
The airport taxi meters in New York start at a basic fare, but additional charges are usually made for late-night driving and travel on public holidays in New York, so it can prove useful to ask your driver about these before leaving. Fares within New York City are metered.
All transportation from LGA by taxi should make use of a meter at the following rates (subject to change):
- Initial charge: USD 3.00
- Per fifth of a mile or per minute stopped: USD 0.40
- Weekday rush hour surcharge (16:00-20:00): USD 1:00
- Night surcharge (20:00-06:00): USD 0.50
If you arrive during rush hour, here's an option worth considering: a group taxi from LGA Airport. A yellow taxi group ride stand at the Marine Air and Delta Shuttle Terminal serves passengers between the hours of 07:00 and 10:00, then again between 16:00 and 20:00, Monday through Friday. Passengers pay a flat fare of USD 22 per person for rides with two passengers, or USD 18 per person for rides with three passengers, for taxicab rides from the stand to drop-off points bounded by 59th Street to the north, 35th Street to the south, 8th Avenue to the west and 2nd Avenue to the east. Drivers are not allowed to pick up additional passengers along the way.
- Always confirm with your LaGuardia Airport taxi driver if they take credit or bank cards and if there are any card fees.
New York Taxi Tipping Recommendation: Tipping recommended, 10-15%
Official LaGuardia Airport Taxi Details
LaGuardia Airport taxi photo
LGA taxi services are licensed by the New York City Taxi Commission.
Head directly for the taxi stand located outside each terminal for official taxi services. You will find uniformed LGA Taxi dispatchers available to assist you before you start your ride.
A taxi from LGA to downtown Manhattan takes between 30 and 50 minutes depending on traffic.
Tip: Ignore non-uniformed people offering to assist with baggage. Seek out uniformed porters or airline employees for baggage assistance.
- Advice on dealing with LaGuardia Airport taxi drivers.
- Advice on avoiding potential disagreements with LaGuardia Airport taxi drivers.
Private LaGuardia Airport Transfer with Meet & Greet Service
Unofficial LaGuardia Airport Taxi Service or Hire Points
It is unsafe to accept a ride from drivers who approach you. Even if they look official, they are breaking the law. If you need a ride, follow the signs to the Welcome Centre/Ground Transportation Counter near the baggage claim area, or head to the official taxi queue outside each terminal.
LaGuardia Airport Taxi Scams
In March 2010, a story hit the media accusing thousands of New York City taxi drivers of overcharging passengers by more than USD 8.3 million over the previous two years. These cabbies illegally set their meters at a rate that was supposed to be used for trips to the suburbs only. At least 1.8 million trips were wrongly charged at the suburban rate, which is double the rate within city limits. At that time, the city had about 48,300 licensed cabbies, and data showed that 35,558 had illegally overcharged a rider at least once.
A smaller group of drivers was responsible for the majority of overcharged trips — 3,000 cabbies were found to have doubled the meter rate more than 100 times. The scammed passengers overpaid by an average of USD 4.45 per trip. Officials discovered the discrepancy by scouring data from global-positioning devices that are required in the city's yellow cabs.
Taxi riders now see an alert on the television screen in the back seat when the higher rate code has been activated.
More LaGuardia Airport Transfer & Airport Connection Options
- LaGuardia Airport Information
- LaGuardia Airport Distance to City Centre
- LaGuardia Airport Currency Exchange
- LaGuardia Airport ATM & Cash Machines
- LaGuardia Airport Wireless Internet Access
- LaGuardia Airport Maps
- LaGuardia Airport Flights, Arrivals, & Airlines
- LaGuardia Airport Taxi Service
- LaGuardia Airport Onsite Hotels
- LaGuardia Airport Private Transfer Services
- LaGuardia Airport Shared Shuttle Transfers
- LaGuardia Airport Location & Address
- LaGuardia Airport Train & Subway
- LaGuardia Airport Hotel Shuttle Transfers
- LaGuardia Airport Shuttle
- LaGuardia Airport Buses & Coaches
- LaGuardia Airport Limo & Private Car Transfers
- LaGuardia Airport Car Hire/Car Rental
- LaGuardia Airport Other Ground Transportation
- LaGuardia Airport Parking & Passenger Pickup
- LaGuardia Airport Stopover & Layovers
- Closest Airports to LGA LaGuardia Airport
- LaGuardia Airport Services & Amenities