LGB Long Beach Airport Info & Guide
Where is Long Beach Airport?
Long Beach, a culturally diverse coastal city and the USA's 2nd busiest container port, has as much of a relationship with the skies as it does the Pacific Ocean.
In 1911, America's first transcontinental flight, a biplane piloted by Calbraith Perry Rodgers, landed on Long Beach's sandy beach. From that point until when its airport was first built, planes continued to use the beach here as a runway.
Long Beach Airport (IATA: LGB, ICAO: KLGB), also known as Daugherty Field, is just northeast of the central business district of the City of Long Beach, in Los Angeles County, California, United States.
As a focus city for JetBlue, Long Beach Airport is positioned as viable alternative to Los Angeles International Airport (LAX). Other airlines serving LGB include Allegiant, Horizon, Mesa and SkyWest.
Top destinations for flights from Long Beach Airport are Salt Lake City, Las Vegas, Seattle, San Francisco, Oakland, Portland, Phoenix, New York City, Sacramento and Washington, D.C.
While commercial traffic is limited by city ordinances, LGB is one of the world's busiest general aviation airports, with a steady stream of charter, law enforcement, flight school and private aviation flights, as well as advertising blimps, banner-towing aircraft and helicopters. It all makes for good planespotting.
Fortunately, the original 1941 terminal, a historical landmark famous for its Streamline Moderne architecture, still stands. Now, with the opening of a new USD 140M concourse - creatively built behind the original structure - LGB's Art Deco terminal will continue to be centrepiece to the lively aviation activity on her doorstep.
Your best bet for a Long Beach Airport transfer is the metro, even though you have to take a cab to the nearest station. Details on all options, and other destinations, are included in this guide. Or, to truly arrive stress free, treat yourself to a private Long Beach Airport transfer from IHateTaxis.
About airports in the Los Angeles area
The Greater Los Angeles region relies on a multiple airport system because of its vast size. Many of the area's most popular attractions are closest to alternative airports.
--> Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) is the region's primary airport
--> Burbank Airport (BUR) is closest to Hollywood and Griffith Park
--> Orange County Airport (SNA) is closest to Disneyland, Honda Center and Angel Stadium
--> Long Beach Airport (LGB) is closest to Palos Verdes and Huntington Beach
--> LA/Ontario International Airport (ONT) is closest to Riverside and San Bernardino
--> Tip: LAX flights diverted due to weater usually land at ONT
Other Items of Interest at Long Beach Airport
Of special note at LGB are the mosaics. Created by Grace Clements in 1941, the mosaics were largely unappreciated until recently, and they are stunning. Tours are available, or take a virtual tour with this Long Beach Airport Mosaics Photo Slideshow.
Services at Long Beach Airport include:
- Laptop bars (with power outlets)
- Power outlets in seating areas
- Central garden courtyard
- Legends Restaurant and Bar - outdoor patio, fantastic airfield view from the bar
- Indoor / outdoor restaurant seating
- Food court, with local eateries
- Wine bar with comfy outside seating and a fire pit (!)
Official LGB Long Beach Airport Website Links
Official LGB Long Beach Airport Twitter Feed
More Long Beach Airport Transfer & Airport Connection Options
- Long Beach Airport Information
- Long Beach Airport Distance to City Centre
- Long Beach Airport Currency Exchange
- Long Beach Airport ATM & Cash Machines
- Long Beach Airport Wireless Internet Access
- Long Beach Airport Maps
- Long Beach Airport Flights, Arrivals, & Airlines
- Long Beach Airport Taxi Service
- Long Beach Airport Onsite Hotels
- Long Beach Airport Private Transfer Services
- Long Beach Airport Shared Shuttle Transfers
- Long Beach Airport Location & Address
- Long Beach Airport Train & Subway
- Long Beach Airport Hotel Shuttle Transfers
- Long Beach Airport Shuttle
- Long Beach Airport Buses & Coaches
- Long Beach Airport Limo & Private Car Transfers
- Long Beach Airport Car Hire/Car Rental
- Long Beach Airport Other Ground Transportation
- Long Beach Airport Parking & Passenger Pickup
- Long Beach Airport Stopover & Layovers
- Closest Airports to LGB Long Beach Airport
- Long Beach Airport Services & Amenities