LAX Los Angeles Airport Information
Where is Los Angeles Airport?
LAX Los Angeles International Airport (IATA: LAX, ICAO: KLAX, FAA LID: LAX) is the primary airport serving the Greater Los Angeles Area, the second-most populated metropolitan area in the United States. It is most often referred to by its IATA airport code LAX, with the letters pronounced individually (el-ay-ex). Los Angeles International Airport is located in southwestern Los Angeles in the neighborhood of Westchester, 16 miles (26 kilometres) from the downtown core.
Los Angeles International Airport has nine passenger terminals arranged in a "U shape" (also called a "horseshoe"). The terminals are numbered 1 through 8; the 9th terminal is named Tom Bradley International Terminal (TBIT).
Moving between Los Angeles Airport terminals
Most inter-terminal connections require passengers to exit security, then walk or use a shuttle bus to get to the other terminal, then re-clear security. Such connections can be time consuming and do normally require set minimum connections times to be considered a legal connection.
A few LAX terminals provide airside connections (allowing connecting passengers to access other terminals without having to re-clear security), including:
- Terminals 5 and 6 are connected via an airside underground walkway.
- Terminals 6, 7, and 8 are all connected airside via walking corridors.
- The only exception applies to international-arriving passengers in Terminals 6 and 7 who are making connections: passengers still need to exit through customs, then re-clear security to have access to the departures area.
- Some airlines provide an airside shuttle bus connection between terminals.
About airports in the Los Angeles area
Although LAX is the busiest airport in the Greater Los Angeles Area, the region relies on a multiple airport system because of its vast size. Many of the area's most well-known attractions are closer to alternative airports than to LAX; for example, Hollywood and Griffith Park are closer to Bob Hope Airport (BUR) in Burbank; while John Wayne Airport (SNA) in Orange County is close to Disneyland, the Honda Center, Angel Stadium of Anaheim, and other Orange County attractions. Long Beach Airport (LGB) is close to some of the coastal attractions known to Southern California, like Palos Verdes and Huntington Beach. LA/Ontario International Airport (ONT) is closer to the Inland Empire region's cities of Riverside, and San Bernardino of Southern California (as LAX's coastal location renders it liable to low-lying cloud or fog conditions, flights are occasionally diverted to ONT).
Distance from Los Angeles Airport to City Centre or CBD
Internet at Los Angeles Airport & WiFi Access
Yes, there is free WiFi at LAX Airport. The free service is limited to 45 minutes, after which you can buy 24 hours of premium service for USD 7.95.
- Be a smart traveller and be in the know about some Internet at Los Angeles Airport WiFi Connection and Security tips before you connect
LAX Los Angeles Airport Maps
Official LAX Los Angeles International Airport Parking Map
Other Items of Interest at Los Angeles Airport
Services at Los Angeles Airport include:
- Ambassador Program
- Volunteer Information Professionals (VIP)
- Bob Hope Hollywood USO lounge, across the roadway between Terminals 1 and 2 - Open 24/7
- Medical Clinic
- LAX Air Radio 530
- Observation Deck at the LAX Theme Building (designed by Disney, renovated and reopened); open Saturdays and Sundays from 08:00 to 17:00 and is free to the public including free telescopes.
- Public Art Displays
- A small Pet Park at the southeast end of the Central Terminal Area near Terminals 7-8 where pets can take a potty break; plastic bags provided.
Note: There are no luggage storage services or lockers available (contact your airline to arrange baggage storage).
Los Angeles Airport Departures and Arrivals Airlines
Closest Airports to LAX Los Angeles Airport
LAX Los Angeles Airport Twitter Feed
Official LAX Los Angeles Airport Website Links
More Los Angeles Airport Transfer & Airport Connection Options
- Los Angeles Airport Information
- Los Angeles Airport Distance to City Centre
- Los Angeles Airport Currency Exchange
- Los Angeles Airport ATM & Cash Machines
- Los Angeles Airport Wireless Internet Access
- Los Angeles Airport Maps
- Los Angeles Airport Airline Companies
- Los Angeles Airport Taxi Service
- Los Angeles Airport Onsite Hotels
- Los Angeles Airport Train & Subway
- Los Angeles Airport Hotel Shuttle Transfers
- Los Angeles Airport Shuttle
- Los Angeles Airport Buses & Coaches
- Los Angeles Airport Limo & Private Car Transfers
- Los Angeles Airport Car Hire/Car Rental
- Los Angeles Airport Other Ground Transportation
- Los Angeles Airport Parking & Passenger Pickup
- Los Angeles Airport Stopover & Layovers
- Closest Airports to LAX Los Angeles Airport