Things to do in London if you have a Heathrow Airport Layover or Extended Heathrow Airport Stopover
If you have an extended layover at the Heathrow Airport or staying in town, why not consider getting out with some fun activities? We list a few here and there are many more on London.LayoverIdeas.com.
Heathrow Airport is an easy commute from the city centre using any number of public transport options. London is a city steeped in history and, at the same time, at the leading edge of the age of technology. If you are on a layover in London there are no end of activities to lure you away from the departure lounge.
Harry Potter Tours
If you want to see a bit of historic England while at the same time wondering through the spell binding scenes of Harry Potter’s greatest adventures then why not take a guided Harry Potter Tour. London Taxi Tours offer short 3.5 hour London Tours as well as the chance to spend the whole day with a personal guide, who can immerse you into the world of Hogwart’s, so when you go home and watch the movie, you can say: I stood there.
London Transport Museum
Since transport is the name of the game here it would be remiss not to mention the museum that stands in honour of all things transport related. With collections that reflect all aspects of the history of public transport from 1800 to present day everyone will find something of interest. This is an especially interesting layover option if you are travelling with young boys as they will be fascinated by the variety of vehicles, signs, photographs, posters, drawings, uniforms and architectural material which make up the core of the collection.
One London’s most famous attractions, the Tower Bridge, is just over a hundred years old. Its twin drawbridges, or bascules, each weigh about 1,000 tons, take only 90 seconds to be raised with the electric motors which replaced the old steam engines. The bascules have been raised more than half a million times since it was built. It From Tower Bridge you can view HMS Belfast, an 11,500-ton cruiser that opened the bombardment of the Normandy coast on D-Day.
If you want to experience shopping true London style, and are not worried about fighting your way from shop to shop in order to enjoy the experience, Oxford Street is the place to go. With a great many independent retailers to choose from you will be spoilt for choice when it comes to choosing your souvenirs.
As always, make sure you leave plenty of time to get back to LHR Heathrow Airport in time for your connecting flight. Enjoy your transit city rather than whiling away the time leaning up against your luggage in the departures lounge.
More Heathrow Airport Transfer & Airport Connection Options
- Heathrow Airport Information
- Heathrow Airport Distance to City Centre
- Heathrow Airport Currency Exchange
- Heathrow Airport ATM & Cash Machines
- Heathrow Airport Wireless Internet Access
- Heathrow Airport Maps
- Heathrow Airport Flights, Arrivals, & Airlines
- Heathrow Airport Taxi Service
- Heathrow Airport Onsite Hotels
- Heathrow Airport Private Transfer Services
- Heathrow Airport Shared Shuttle Transfers
- Heathrow Airport Location & Address
- Heathrow Airport Train & Subway
- Heathrow Airport Hotel Shuttle Transfers
- Heathrow Airport Shuttle
- Heathrow Airport Buses & Coaches
- Heathrow Airport Limo & Private Car Transfers
- Heathrow Airport Car Hire/Car Rental
- Heathrow Airport Other Ground Transportation
- Heathrow Airport Parking & Passenger Pickup
- Heathrow Airport Stopover & Layovers
- Closest Airports to LHR Heathrow Airport
- Heathrow Airport Services & Amenities