Things to do in Chicago if you have a Chicago O`Hare Airport Layover or Extended Chicago O`Hare Airport Stopover
Inside the Airport
Take in a Museum
Chicago's set of museums and cultural institutions are among the best in the world. Three of them are located within a short walk of each other in the Near South, on what is known as the Museum Campus, in a beautiful spot along the lake: the Adler Planetarium, with all sorts of cool hands-on space exhibits and astronomy shows; the Field Museum of Natural History, which features SUE, the giant Tyrannosaurus Rex skeleton, and a plethora of Egyptian treasures; and the Shedd Aquarium, with dolphins, whales, sharks, and the best collection of marine life east of California. A short distance away, in Hyde Park, is the most fun of them all, the Museum of Science and Industry — or, as generations of Chicago-area grammar school students know it, the best field trip ever.
In the Loop, the Art Institute of Chicago has a handful of iconic household names among an unrivaled collection of Impressionism, modern and classical art, and tons of historical artifacts. And in Lincoln Park, a short trip from the Loop, the cheerful (and free) Lincoln Park Zoo welcomes visitors every day of the week, with plentiful highlights like the Regenstein Center for African Apes.
Check out Frank Lloyd Wright's Architecture
From the sternly classical to the space-age, from the Gothic to the coolly modern, Chicago is a place with an embarrassment of architectural riches. Frank Lloyd Wright fans will swoon to see his earliest buildings in Chicago, where he began his professional career and established the Prairie School architectural style, with numerous homes in Hyde Park/Kenwood, Oak Park, and Rogers Park — over 100 buildings in the Chicago metropolitan area!
Chicago has a strong, passionate bicycle culture, and riding opportunities abound. Pedaling your way around the city is one of the best ways to get to know Chicago. The scenic Lakefront Trail runs for 18 continuous miles along the city's beautiful shoreline. And the terrain is mostly flat — a boon for easy-going cyclists! Bobby's Bike Hike has the official city concession, with a central bike rental location near Navy Pier.
In terms of things to do on a layover there are worse places to be stuck at the airport than at Chicago O’Hare International Airport.
As always, make sure you leave plenty of time to get back to ORD Chicago O`Hare International Airport and clear security in time for your connecting flight. Enjoy your transit city rather than whiling away the time leaning up against your luggage in the departures lounge.
More Chicago O`Hare Airport Transfer & Airport Connection Options
- Chicago O`Hare Airport Information
- Chicago O`Hare Airport Distance to City Centre
- Chicago O`Hare Airport Currency Exchange
- Chicago O`Hare Airport ATM & Cash Machines
- Chicago O`Hare Airport Wireless Internet Access
- Chicago O`Hare Airport Maps
- Chicago O`Hare Airport Flights, Arrivals, & Airlines
- Chicago O`Hare Airport Taxi Service
- Chicago O`Hare Airport Onsite Hotels
- Chicago O`Hare Airport Private Transfer Services
- Chicago O`Hare Airport Shared Shuttle Transfers
- Chicago O`Hare Airport Location & Address
- Chicago O`Hare Airport Train & Subway
- Chicago O`Hare Airport Hotel Shuttle Transfers
- Chicago O`Hare Airport Shuttle
- Chicago O`Hare Airport Buses & Coaches
- Chicago O`Hare Airport Limo & Private Car Transfers
- Chicago O`Hare Airport Car Hire/Car Rental
- Chicago O`Hare Airport Other Ground Transportation
- Chicago O`Hare Airport Parking & Passenger Pickup
- Chicago O`Hare Airport Stopover & Layovers
- Closest Airports to ORD Chicago O`Hare Airport
- Chicago O`Hare Airport Services & Amenities