Things to do in Christchurch if you have a Christchurch Airport Layover or Extended Christchurch Airport Stopover
If you have an extended layover at the Christchurch Airport or staying in town, why not consider getting out with some fun activities? We list a few here and there are many more on Christchurch.LayoverIdeas.com.
CHC Christchurch International Airport is about 12 kilometres from downtown Christchurch and with shuttle buses leaving within 10 minutes of you boarding, you will very quickly be on your way. The short trip into town provides you with far more things to do than you can possibly fit in and most people are very surprised if you are in Christchurch for anything less than a week. So to narrow down your choices here are some ideas to start with.
Whether you have an hour or a day to spend in Christchurch, there is enough to see and do in the Cultural Precinct to keep you amazed and interested. Located in the heart of Christchurch you can experience New Zealand’s arts, heritage and cultural attractions through organized tours and activities, you can travel by tram and hear stories about the area’s history or you can wander around taking it all in at your own pace. Just jump on a shuttle from the airport and you will be there in no time.
The Christchurch Gondola
Welcome Aboard the Christchurch Gondola, the first and only Gondola in Christchurch City, One of the most popular Christchurch activities offers a spectacular ride 500 metres above the city. In a 4 person Gondola cabin lifts you gently up over the 945m ride. Views in every direction allow you to take in Pegasus Bay and the Pacific Ocean to Kaikoura, Banks Peninsula, Lake Ellesmere and Lyttleton Harbour, as well as all the way across the Canterbury Plains to the Southern Alps. At the top you can quench your thirst or enjoy a meal at the Summit Café or the Pinnacle Restaurant and you can stretch your legs on one of several marked walkways.
International Antarctic Centre
If you prefer not to stray too far from CHC Christchurch International Airport you can walk the few metres from the International Terminal to the International Antarctic Centre where you can see New Zealand penguins or take a ride on the Hagglund to experience the feeling of being a real Antarctic explorer. You can also go to the Aquarium, experience the force of an Antarctic storm or enjoy the snow and ice experience. And best of all you can stay as long as you like as the airport is minutes from the centre and you will be back in the departures terminal in no time.
Just 10 minutes from CHC Christchurch International Airport is the shoppers paradise of Westfield Riccarton. There are over 180 stores and cafés to help you satisfy your need for retail therapy while you await your next flight. And if you are accompanied by anyone who prefers not to shop, they can relax at one of the many eateries or take in a movie while they wait.
As always, make sure you leave plenty of time to get back to the airport in time for your connecting flight and enjoy your transit city rather than whiling away the time leaning up against your luggage in the departures lounge.
More Christchurch Airport Transfer & Airport Connection Options
- Christchurch Airport Information
- Christchurch Airport Distance to City Centre
- Christchurch Airport Currency Exchange
- Christchurch Airport ATM & Cash Machines
- Christchurch Airport Wireless Internet Access
- Christchurch Airport Maps
- Christchurch Airport Flights, Arrivals, & Airlines
- Christchurch Airport Taxi Service
- Christchurch Airport Onsite Hotels
- Christchurch Airport Private Transfer Services
- Christchurch Airport Shared Shuttle Transfers
- Christchurch Airport Location & Address
- Christchurch Airport Train & Subway
- Christchurch Airport Hotel Shuttle Transfers
- Christchurch Airport Shuttle
- Christchurch Airport Buses & Coaches
- Christchurch Airport Limo & Private Car Transfers
- Christchurch Airport Car Hire/Car Rental
- Christchurch Airport Other Ground Transportation
- Christchurch Airport Parking & Passenger Pickup
- Christchurch Airport Stopover & Layovers
- Closest Airports to CHC Christchurch Airport
- Christchurch Airport Services & Amenities