Things to do in Cairns if you have a Cairns Airport Layover or Extended Cairns Airport Stopover
If you have an extended layover at the Cairns Airport or staying in town, why not consider getting out with some fun activities? We list a few here and there are many more on Cairns.LayoverIdeas.com.
CNS Cairns International Airport is located a mere 7 km from the centre of Cairns city so it is quick and easy to leave the airport if you have a layover at this destination. Catch a shuttle for about AUD 10 per adult, and you will find yourself downtown within minutes. Once there you have an amazing choice of activities to keep you busy until it is time to head back to CNS Cairns International Airport for your onward flight.
Just 15 minutes from the centre of Cairns and accessible by regular shuttles, is the region’s most popular tourist attraction. The Skyrail is a cableway spanning 7.5 km of natural rainforest which begins just above the canopy and descends right into the heart of the forest. It is about a 2 and a half hour experience and can be fitted in if your layover is only for a few hours. It is essential to book in advance as this attraction is always booked up.
Cairns Botanic Gardens
If you are over being cooped up and think that the inside of a cable car is even more cramped than the inside of an plane, why not head off to the Botanic Gardens? Cairns Botanic Gardens is located just 4 km from the city centre, it is divided into four distinct areas including gardens, lakes, a conservation park and the Tanks Art Centre. There are walking trails, stunning views, all types of flora and fauna, and even the occasional crocodile on view. There is abundant choice of public transport to this attraction so getting to and from the airport should be simple and inexpensive.
If you are travelling with children, chances are they will have enough pent up energy after a long flight to fuel a small power station. If this sounds familiar, why not catch a shuttle to Muddy’s Playground on the corner of the esplanade, which is heralded as the best children’s play area in Australia. There are innumerable activities to keep the children busy and let off some steam. For the adults there is a café located right in the middle of the playground where you can have a refreshing and relaxing meal until you are ready to head back to the airport for your next flight.
Cairns Central is the place to go shopping while on a layover at CNS Cairns International Airport. It is home to one of Australia’s biggest department stores as well as almost every other type of store you can possibly think of. Boasting over 180 stores there is sure to be something for everyone at Cairns Central. If you are hungry there are an amazing array of food choices to whet your appetite.
As always, make sure you leave plenty of time to get back to the airport in time for your connecting flight and enjoy your transit city rather than whiling away the time leaning up against your backpack in the departures lounge.
More Cairns Airport Transfer & Airport Connection Options
- Cairns Airport Information
- Cairns Airport Distance to City Centre
- Cairns Airport Currency Exchange
- Cairns Airport ATM & Cash Machines
- Cairns Airport Wireless Internet Access
- Cairns Airport Maps
- Cairns Airport Flights, Arrivals, & Airlines
- Cairns Airport Taxi Service
- Cairns Airport Onsite Hotels
- Cairns Airport Private Transfer Services
- Cairns Airport Shared Shuttle Transfers
- Cairns Airport Location & Address
- Cairns Airport Train & Subway
- Cairns Airport Hotel Shuttle Transfers
- Cairns Airport Shuttle
- Cairns Airport Buses & Coaches
- Cairns Airport Limo & Private Car Transfers
- Cairns Airport Car Hire/Car Rental
- Cairns Airport Other Ground Transportation
- Cairns Airport Parking & Passenger Pickup
- Cairns Airport Stopover & Layovers
- Closest Airports to CNS Cairns Airport
- Cairns Airport Services & Amenities