Things to do in Dubai if you have a Dubai Al Maktoum Airport Layover or Extended Dubai Al Maktoum Airport Stopover
If you have an extended layover at the Dubai Al Maktoum Airport or staying in town, why not consider getting out with some fun activities? We list a few here and there are many more on Dubai.LayoverIdeas.com.
There's lots to see and experience in the area, so take advantage of any extra time to see what you can.
A must-see for anyone interested in the social history of the Emirate (and indeed the country). The museum's archaeological section includes artefacts that point to civilised settlements dating back to the third millennium BC. The al-Fahidi fort has examples of traditional reed houses. A modern extension built underneath the fort showcases Dubai's history using the latest technology, complete with authentic sights and sounds.
Visit the desert
A visit to Dubai would not be complete without a trip into the desert. These excursions offer a taste of the true heartland of Arabia. The majesty and tranquillity of the desert can be experienced through a choice of exciting safaris and tours. Leave time to use the gym and/or swimming pool back at DWC Dubai Al Maktoum International Airport to cool off and freshen up before your flight.
Burj Khalifa (until recently called Burj Dubai), at 828 metres and 160 floors is the world's tallest structure by a long shot, over 300m taller than the previous contender in Taipei. The observation deck at the 124th floor is the 2nd highest in the world after the Shanghai World Financial center. The visitors' entrance is located at the lower ground floor of Dubai Mall.
City view from the water
Abras (essentially small ferries) afford a very picturesque view of the city from the water (not to be missed). Abra stations are located along the Dubai Creek and abras set off regularly round-the-clock. The cross-river trip costs AED 1, payable to the driver after the boat has left the station. The Waterbus is another option for tousists who want to go by boat but avoid the abra crowd (or the heat); as part of Dubai's public transport system, a Red ticket or any Nol card is required for the Waterbus journey (can be purchased at the Waterbus station).
Dubai is practically synonymous with shopping. The best things to buy in Dubai are textiles, electronics and gold, electronics is believed to be much cheaper while textiles and gold offer a wide range of selection. Dubai Mall and Mall of the Emirates are the two largest malls and are easily accessible by public transportation. The ancient “souks” or markets (where haggling is expected) offer a romantic setting for the purchase of spices, antiques, rugs, and silverware.
A note of caution: The United Arab Emirates might seem relaxed but the laws are still very different from most Western countries and are strictly enforced. A simple kiss in a public place, having an alcoholic drink in the wrong place or even losing your temper could land you in jail. Gay Lesbian Bisexual Transgender travellers should be particularly careful as homosexuality is a criminal offense with possible deportation. Avoid all public displays of affection. Women should avoid revealing outfits.
More Dubai Al Maktoum Airport Transfer & Airport Connection Options
- Dubai Al Maktoum Airport Information
- Dubai Al Maktoum Airport Distance to City Centre
- Dubai Al Maktoum Airport Currency Exchange
- Dubai Al Maktoum Airport ATM & Cash Machines
- Dubai Al Maktoum Airport Wireless Internet Access
- Dubai Al Maktoum Airport Maps
- Dubai Al Maktoum Airport Flights, Arrivals, & Airlines
- Dubai Al Maktoum Airport Taxi Service
- Dubai Al Maktoum Airport Onsite Hotels
- Dubai Al Maktoum Airport Private Transfer Services
- Dubai Al Maktoum Airport Shared Shuttle Transfers
- Dubai Al Maktoum Airport Location & Address
- Dubai Al Maktoum Airport Train & Subway
- Dubai Al Maktoum Airport Hotel Shuttle Transfers
- Dubai Al Maktoum Airport Shuttle
- Dubai Al Maktoum Airport Buses & Coaches
- Dubai Al Maktoum Airport Limo & Private Car Transfers
- Dubai Al Maktoum Airport Car Hire/Car Rental
- Dubai Al Maktoum Airport Other Ground Transportation
- Dubai Al Maktoum Airport Parking & Passenger Pickup
- Dubai Al Maktoum Airport Stopover & Layovers
- Closest Airports to DWC Dubai Al Maktoum Airport
- Dubai Al Maktoum Airport Services & Amenities