HER Heraklion Airport Info & Guide
Where is Heraklion Airport?
Crete is Greece's largest and most populated island. With its own poetry, dance and music, Crete is known for its unique local culture. Crete was once at the centre of the Minoan civilization (c. 2700–1420 BC), the oldest recorded civilization in Europe.
Heraklion International Airport (IATA: HER, ICAO: LGIR), officially Heraklion International Airport, Nikos Kazantzakis or Heraklion Nikos Kazantzakis Airport, also referred to as Crete Airport, Nea Alikarnassos Airport, or simply Heraklion Airport, is located 5 kilometres (3miles) east of Heraklion city centre, on the island of Crete, Greece. HER Airport is situated near the municipality of Nea Alikarnassos, and is a shared civil/military facility. The airport is named to honour Heraklion born Nikos Kazantzakis, a Greek philosopher and writer.
HER is Crete's primary airport. The smaller Chania International Airport (CHQ) handles seasonal flights to the western part of the island.
In 2011, Heraklion Airport served 5,292,687 passengers, making it Greece's 2nd busiest airport.
Aegean Airlines, Cypus Airways and Olympic Airlines offer year round service to Heraklion Airport.
Airlines offering seasonal service include Aeroflot, Air Berlin, Austrian Airlines, Condor, EasyJet, Edelweiss Air, Germanwings, Hamburg Airways, Iberia, Israir Airlines, Jet2.com, Niki, Norwegian Air Shuttle, Sky Express, SmartWings, Thomas Cook, Transaero Airlines, Transavia.com, TUIfly, Vueling and Wizz Air.
Year-round service operates to Athens, Düsseldorf, Frankfurt, Larnaca, Rhodes and Thessaloniki. Cities with seasonal flights to HER include Amsterdam, Barcelona, Belfast, Berlin, Brussels, Bucharest, Budapest, Copenhagen, Dublin, Glasgow, London, Madrid, Marseille, Moscow, Munich, Oslo, Paris, Prague, Rhodes, Rome, Rotterdam, Santorini, St. Petersburg, Tel Aviv, Vienna and Zürich.
Your bet bet for a Heraklion Airport transfer is the bus. Details on all options are included in this guide.
Other Items of Interest at Heraklion Airport
During summer, the airport becomes very congested, and it is not uncommon for passengers waiting to check-in to queue outside the terminal.
More Heraklion Airport Transfer & Airport Connection Options
- Heraklion Airport Information
- Heraklion Airport Distance to City Centre
- Heraklion Airport Currency Exchange
- Heraklion Airport ATM & Cash Machines
- Heraklion Airport Wireless Internet Access
- Heraklion Airport Maps
- Heraklion Airport Flights, Arrivals, & Airlines
- Heraklion Airport Taxi Service
- Heraklion Airport Onsite Hotels
- Heraklion Airport Private Transfer Services
- Heraklion Airport Shared Shuttle Transfers
- Heraklion Airport Location & Address
- Heraklion Airport Train & Subway
- Heraklion Airport Hotel Shuttle Transfers
- Heraklion Airport Shuttle
- Heraklion Airport Buses & Coaches
- Heraklion Airport Limo & Private Car Transfers
- Heraklion Airport Car Hire/Car Rental
- Heraklion Airport Other Ground Transportation
- Heraklion Airport Parking & Passenger Pickup
- Heraklion Airport Stopover & Layovers
- Closest Airports to HER Heraklion Airport
- Heraklion Airport Services & Amenities