HKG Hong Kong Airport Information
Where is Hong Kong Airport? HKG Hong Kong International Airport is the main airport in Hong Kong. It is colloquially known as Chek Lap Kok Airport (赤鱲角機場), because it was built on the island of Chek Lap Kok by land reclamation, and also to distinguish it from its predecessor, the closed Kai Tak Airport.
The airport opened for commercial operations in 1998, replacing Kai Tak, and is an important regional trans-shipment centre, passenger hub and gateway for destinations in Mainland China and the rest of Asia. Despite a relatively short history, Hong Kong International Airport has won seven Skytrax World Airport Awards in just ten years.
HKIA also operates one of the world's largest passenger terminal buildings and operates twenty-four hours a day. It is one of the world's busiest airports, especially in terms of international passengers, and also the second busiest airport in the world in terms of cargo movements. In 2008, HKIA handled 48.6 million passengers and 3.63 million tons of cargo. It is the primary hub for Cathay Pacific, Dragonair, Hong Kong Express Airways, Hong Kong Airlines, Air Hong Kong (cargo) and Asia Jet (private).
The international airport of Hong Kong has two terminals. There is a free automatic train ('people mover') between the east and west wings of Terminal 1 and of the new Terminal 2 to the piers.
Distance from Hong Kong Airport to City Centre or CBD
Internet at Hong Kong Airport & WiFi Access
There is free WiFi internet access at HKG Hong Kong International Airport throughout T1, T2, the North Satellite Concourse and SkyPier.
- Be a smart traveller and be in the know about some Internet at Hong Kong Airport WiFi Connection and Security tips before you connect
HKG Hong Kong Airport Maps
Other Items of Interest at Hong Kong Airport
Services at HKG Airport include:
- Plaza Premium Airport Lounge (showers, open 24 hours, fee) - Arrivals Hall, beneath Airport Express platform - RESERVE NOW
- The Travelers' Lounge (showers, open 24 hours, fee) - West Hall (near Gate 35) of Departures Level 6 - RESERVE NOW
- Airport World Trade Centre - business and conference facilities
- Customer Service Centres - 7/F in T1, 5/F in T2
- Permanent and changing exhibitions
Hong Kong Airport Departures and Arrivals Airlines
Closest Airports to HKG Hong Kong Airport
Official HKG Hong Kong Airport Website Links
More Hong Kong Airport Transfer & Airport Connection Options
- Hong Kong Airport Information
- Hong Kong Airport Distance to City Centre
- Hong Kong Airport Currency Exchange
- Hong Kong Airport ATM & Cash Machines
- Hong Kong Airport Wireless Internet Access
- Hong Kong Airport Maps
- Hong Kong Airport Airline Companies
- Hong Kong Airport Taxi Service
- Hong Kong Airport Onsite Hotels
- Hong Kong Airport Train & Subway
- Hong Kong Airport Hotel Shuttle Transfers
- Hong Kong Airport Shuttle
- Hong Kong Airport Buses & Coaches
- Hong Kong Airport Limo & Private Car Transfers
- Hong Kong Airport Car Hire/Car Rental
- Hong Kong Airport Other Ground Transportation
- Hong Kong Airport Parking & Passenger Pickup
- Hong Kong Airport Stopover & Layovers
- Closest Airports to HKG Hong Kong Airport