Official Kathmandu Airport Taxi Recommendations
The official Kathmandu Airport taxi service has a mixed recommendation by IHateTaxis.com.
Taxis in general are a little bit scary for someone who is not used to how Nepali's drive. The cars are small and generally run down and the drivers go like bats out of hell! Just hold on and you will get to your destination.(Read More about Official Kathmandu Airport Taxis Below)
Official Kathmandu Airport Taxi Rates & Fares to the City Centre
- Pre-paid Taxis:
- Pre-paid taxi to Thamel (hotel area): NPR 800
Regular (Unofficial) Taxis:
- To the city: NPR 200-250
- To Thamel: about NPR 400
- To Patan: about NPR 800-1000
- To Boudah: about NPR 400
|Kathmandu Taxi Payment: Cash only |
Nepal is not a tipping culture.
Kathmandu Airport Taxi Scams
Always negotiate the price beforehand with the taxi driver. Due to recent skyrocketing fuel costs, drivers of metered taxis will generally refuse to use the meter. If you take a taxi from the airport, be prepared to negotiate heavily.
When booking a prepaid taxi, don't give the receipt to the driver until you are at your destination and you are satisfied, as this serves as the driver's payment. If the driver asks for more money, don't give it.
Be aware that there are people at the airport who will offer to carry your bags, but not with being generously tipped.
Official Kathmandu Airport Taxi Service
Kathmandu Airport taxi photo
For Kathmandu Airport taxi services, you have a choice between pre-paid official taxis, and regular (unofficial) taxis.
If you take a pre-paid taxi from Kathmandu Airport, you can relax, knowing what the fare will be, although you will pay more.
Buy your pre-paid taxi voucher inside the terminal, to your right, just after you pick up your luggage.
Tip: in this same area, you can buy a NCell SIM card.
- Advice on dealing with Kathmandu Airport taxi drivers.
- Advice on avoiding potential disagreements with Kathmandu Airport taxi drivers.
Private Kathmandu Airport Transfer with Meet & Greet Service
Unofficial Kathmandu Airport Taxi Service or Hire Points
Hailing a taxi on the street outside the Kathmandu Airport will be cheaper but, be warned, taxi drivers may try to overcharge tourists. Insist on paying no more than NPR 250 by day and NPR 300 at night.
It is possible to get cheaper taxis by walking away from the terminal to the main road.
More Kathmandu Airport Transfer & Airport Connection Options
- Kathmandu Airport Information
- Kathmandu Airport Distance to City Centre
- Kathmandu Airport Currency Exchange
- Kathmandu Airport ATM & Cash Machines
- Kathmandu Airport Wireless Internet Access
- Kathmandu Airport Maps
- Kathmandu Airport Airline Companies
- Kathmandu Airport Taxi Service
- Kathmandu Airport Onsite Hotels
- Kathmandu Airport Train & Subway
- Kathmandu Airport Hotel Shuttle Transfers
- Kathmandu Airport Shuttle
- Kathmandu Airport Buses & Coaches
- Kathmandu Airport Limo & Private Car Transfers
- Kathmandu Airport Car Hire/Car Rental
- Kathmandu Airport Other Ground Transportation
- Kathmandu Airport Parking & Passenger Pickup
- Kathmandu Airport Stopover & Layovers
- Closest Airports to KTM Kathmandu Airport