PVG Shanghai Pudong Airport Information
Where is Shanghai Pudong Airport?
Shanghai was a famously prosperous city in the Far East in the 1930's. It has one of the richest collections of Art Deco buildings in the world, along with other architectural styles, including shikumen (Chinese style houses with a European flair), Tudor, Parisian style, to name just a few. All this history blends with modern building, making cosmopolitan Shanghai the most developed city in mainland China.
Modern Shanghai is filled with amazing nightlife, complete with both affordable bars and vibrant nightclubs, and is an exciting mix of East and West.
Shanghai Pudong International Airport (IATA: PVG, ICAO: ZSPD), or simply Pudong Airport, is the primary international airport serving Shanghai, China. Pudong Airport sits adjacent to the coastline on the eastern edge of Pudong New Area, east of Shanghai city centre.
The city's other major airport, Shanghai Hongqiao International Airport (SHA), on the west side of the city, serves mainly domestic flghts (most flights for Tokyo, Seoul, Taipei and Hong Kong operate from SHA).
Shanghai Pudong Airport served a total of 41,477,730 passengers in 2011, making it the 3rd busiest airport in mainland China and the 21st busiest in the world. Future plans call for a third terminal at Pudong Shanghai Airport, along with more runways, to be built by 2015, raising capacity to 80 million.
Your best option for a Shanghai Pudong Airport transfer, by far, is to take a Shanghai airport train. Details on all options are included in this guide.
Or, to truly arrive stress free, treat yourself to a private Pudong Shanghai Airport transfer from IHateTaxis.
Distance from Shanghai Pudong Airport to City Centre or CBD
Internet at Shanghai Pudong Airport & WiFi Access
Yes, there is free WiFi at Pudong Airport. The name of the network is SPIA-guest.
For security reasons, real identification is required to use the Shanghai Airport WiFi service.
- Cell phone users registered with a local provider: at login, request a password sent via text message
- All others: scan your passport at one of the scanning machines in the terminals to acquire a password
- Be a smart traveller and be in the know about some Internet at Shanghai Pudong Airport WiFi Connection and Security tips before you connect
Other Items of Interest at Shanghai Pudong Airport
Tip: Be sure to check which of Shanghai's two airports your flight is leaving from. If you need to transfer between the two airports:
- The trip takes about 1 hour by taxi.
- There are direct shuttle busses between the airports.
- You can transfer by metro (allow 2 hours), as both airports are on line 2, the main East-West line through downtown Shanghai, but at opposite ends of it (optional: reduce time by taking the Maglev train for the segment of the journey near PGV).
Services at Shanghai Pudong Airport include:
- 4 premium lounges (pay per use)
- Consultation (service) desks
- First-class cabins
- Luggage storage
- Ample power outlets for charging electronics
- Free clean drinking water
- A three-star-rated hourly hotel is located on the Transfer Level of the main terminal building (you will need to provide your boarding pass before registering)
- 3 medical clinics
- Business centre
- Hourly transit hotel in the Domestic Arrival Hall
Shanghai Pudong Airport is open 24 hours, one of only a few Chinese airports to do so.
Shanghai Pudong Airport Departures and Arrivals Airlines
Closest Airports to PVG Shanghai Pudong Airport
Official PVG Shanghai Pudong Airport Website Links
More Shanghai Pudong Airport Transfer & Airport Connection Options
- Shanghai Pudong Airport Information
- Shanghai Pudong Airport Distance to City Centre
- Shanghai Pudong Airport Currency Exchange
- Shanghai Pudong Airport ATM & Cash Machines
- Shanghai Pudong Airport Wireless Internet Access
- Shanghai Pudong Airport Maps
- Shanghai Pudong Airport Airline Companies
- Shanghai Pudong Airport Taxi Service
- Shanghai Pudong Airport Onsite Hotels
- Shanghai Pudong Airport Train & Subway
- Shanghai Pudong Airport Hotel Shuttle Transfers
- Shanghai Pudong Airport Shuttle
- Shanghai Pudong Airport Buses & Coaches
- Shanghai Pudong Airport Limo & Private Car Transfers
- Shanghai Pudong Airport Car Hire/Car Rental
- Shanghai Pudong Airport Other Ground Transportation
- Shanghai Pudong Airport Parking & Passenger Pickup
- Shanghai Pudong Airport Stopover & Layovers
- Closest Airports to PVG Shanghai Pudong Airport