YFB Iqaluit Airport Info & Guide
Where is Iqaluit Airport?
Iqaluit lies in a northern part of Canada that few will ever see. Accessible only by air year round, and only sometimes by sea, Iqaluit truly is remote. Iqaluit, formerly Frobisher Bay, sits at the south end of Baffin Island, and is the territorial capital of Nunavut, Canada.
While there are few roads in the region, and most travel is by air, there are some trucks in Iqaluit. But the more common form of transport amongst locals is by ATV (during the short summer) or snowmobile (during the very long winters). You may even see some dog sleds. Unless you arrive in winter though, you will find that around town most things are within walking distance.
Iqaluit Airport (IATA: YFB, ICAO: CYFB), also referred to as Frobisher Bay Airport, is located adjacent to the town of Iqaluit, a walkable distance on a good day. Canadian Forces maintains operations here.
YFB Airport is classified as an airport of entry by NAV CANADA, so is staffed by the Canada Border Services Agency. Iqaluit Airport also plays an important role as a diversion airport for airlines flying Polar routes. As such, Iqaluit Airport can handle any type or size of aircraft.
Airlines serving Iqaluit Airport include Canadian North, EVAS Air, First Air and Air Greenland.
Destinations served from Iqaluit Airport include Arctic Bay, Cape Dorset, Clyde River, Gander, Hall Beach, Happy Valley-Goose Bay, Igloolik, Kimmirut, Kuujjuaq, Montreal, Nuuk, Ottawa, Pangnirtung, Pond Inlet, Qikiqtarjuaq, Rankin Inlet, Resolute and Yellowknife.
A major overhaul of Iqaluit Airport is in the works. A new terminal is planned, along with more parking and runway/taxiway upgrades. Work will begin in 2014 and should be completed by 2017.
Your best bet for an Iqaluit Airport transfer is a taxi. Details are included in this guide.
In August 2013, Iqaluit Airport was featured on Amazing Race Canada.
Other Items of Interest at Iqaluit Airport
Services at the Iqaluit Airport include:
- Tourist information
- Travel agent
- Snack bar - open during flight arrivals/departures
- Arctic Ventures Gift Shop
- Inuit art displays
PanAm Trivia: At one time, Pan American had a base at Iqaluit Airport (then Frobisher Bay Airport), and twice had to change engines on Douglas DC-7Cs planes here.
More Iqaluit Airport Transfer & Airport Connection Options
- Iqaluit Airport Information
- Iqaluit Airport Distance to City Centre
- Iqaluit Airport Currency Exchange
- Iqaluit Airport ATM & Cash Machines
- Iqaluit Airport Wireless Internet Access
- Iqaluit Airport Maps
- Iqaluit Airport Flights, Arrivals, & Airlines
- Iqaluit Airport Taxi Service
- Iqaluit Airport Onsite Hotels
- Iqaluit Airport Private Transfer Services
- Iqaluit Airport Shared Shuttle Transfers
- Iqaluit Airport Location & Address
- Iqaluit Airport Train & Subway
- Iqaluit Airport Hotel Shuttle Transfers
- Iqaluit Airport Shuttle
- Iqaluit Airport Buses & Coaches
- Iqaluit Airport Limo & Private Car Transfers
- Iqaluit Airport Car Hire/Car Rental
- Iqaluit Airport Other Ground Transportation
- Iqaluit Airport Parking & Passenger Pickup
- Iqaluit Airport Stopover & Layovers
- Closest Airports to YFB Iqaluit Airport
- Iqaluit Airport Services & Amenities