BUD Budapest Airport Info & Guide
Where is Budapest Airport?
Set on the banks of the Danube, Budapest is nicknamed the "Paris of the East", a testament to the city's culture, architecture and history. Budapest was built around a huge cluster of natural thermal baths, and is designated a UNESCO World Heritage site, making it one of Europe's most interesting and enjoyable cities.
Coupled with world-class classical music and a vibrant nightlife scene, Budapest's unique atmosphere is increasingly popular with European youth. If you plan to visit, practice saying "boo-dah-pesht", as the locals pronounce it.
Budapest Ferenc Liszt International Airport (IATA: BUD, ICAO: LHBP), or Budapest Liszt Airport, was renamed to honor Ferenc (Franz) Liszt, the virtuoso composer and pianist, on the 200th anniversary of his birth (March 25, 2011). Formerly known as Budapest Ferihegy International Airport, or Budapest Ferihegy Airport, after the neighborhood where the airport sits, locals still call it Ferihegy Airport.
Located east-southeast of Budapest city centre, in the Ferihegy neighborhood, BUD is the largest of Hungary's airports.
In 2011, Budapest Airport handled 8.9 million passengers, a number that is expected to fall in 2012, due to the collapse of Malév Hungarian Airlines in February 2012.
Airlines serving Budapest Airport today include Aegean, Air France, AirBerlin, British Airways, easyJet, Egyptair, EL AL, Jet2, KLM, Lufthansa, Qatar, Ryanair and Wizz Air.
Among the destinations served are Amsterdam, Berlin, Cairo, Copenhagen, Doha, Dublin, Finnair, Frankfurt, Istanbul, Krakow, Lisbon, London, Moscow, Paris, Riga, Rome, Tel Aviv, Thessaloniki, Zagreb, Zurich.On occassion, when weather diverts aircraft, planes usually land at Bratislava or Vienna.
In May 2012, in a creative and hopefully temporary cost-cutting measure, Budapest Airport closed one of its two terminals (they are 7 kilometres / 4 miles apart). With Terminal 1 closed, the usual transportation routines have been adjusted, but as it is still referenced in some directions (one transfer method still connects there!), directions can be confusing. We hope our descriptions add clarity.
Your best bet for a Budapest Airport transfer is the "train and bus combo". If you can't be bothered with a connection, then we suggest the minibus shuttle which goes everywhere, 24 hours a day. Details on all options are included in this guide.
Or, to truly arrive stress free, treat yourself to a private Budapest Airport transfer from IHateTaxis.
Other Items of Interest at Budapest Airport
> ~ NOTE: TERMINAL 1 IS CLOSED ~ <
Services at Budapest Airport include:
- Observation deck - closed until 2013
- Meeting rooms
- Luggage storage - open 24 hours
- Travel agencies
- Post office
- Tourist information
Official BUD Budapest Airport Website Links
Official BUD Budapest Airport Twitter Feed
More Budapest Airport Transfer & Airport Connection Options
- Budapest Airport Information
- Budapest Airport Distance to City Centre
- Budapest Airport Currency Exchange
- Budapest Airport ATM & Cash Machines
- Budapest Airport Wireless Internet Access
- Budapest Airport Maps
- Budapest Airport Flights, Arrivals, & Airlines
- Budapest Airport Taxi Service
- Budapest Airport Onsite Hotels
- Budapest Airport Private Transfer Services
- Budapest Airport Shared Shuttle Transfers
- Budapest Airport Location & Address
- Budapest Airport Train & Subway
- Budapest Airport Hotel Shuttle Transfers
- Budapest Airport Shuttle
- Budapest Airport Buses & Coaches
- Budapest Airport Limo & Private Car Transfers
- Budapest Airport Car Hire/Car Rental
- Budapest Airport Other Ground Transportation
- Budapest Airport Parking & Passenger Pickup
- Budapest Airport Stopover & Layovers
- Closest Airports to BUD Budapest Airport
- Budapest Airport Services & Amenities