DEN Denver Airport Info & Guide
Where is Denver Airport?
Known as "The Mile-High City", Denver sits at an altitude of 5,280 feet above sea level, which is exactly one mile (that's 1,609 meters). The capital of Colorado, the city is situated where the Great Plains give way to the Rocky Mountains (just 12 miles from town).
It's a stunning location for an airport, and the breezy sails of Denver International Airport do not disappoint. Suggestive of the snow capped Rocky Mountains, the signature profile was first hand sketched by Curtis W. Fentress, and propelled him to become one of the foremost airport designers in the world.
Denver International Airport (IATA: DEN, ICAO: KDEN, FAA LID: DEN), os simply Denver Airport, is located 40 kilometres (24 miles) northeast of downtown Denver, Colorado, United States. Although often referred to as DIA Airport or DIA, this is not an official airport code.
In 2015, Denver Airport served 54,014,502 passengers, making it the 6th busiest airport in the United States, and the 13th busiest in the world. Denver Airport is the biggest airport in the United States by total area (it's a massive 140 km2, or 53 mi2).
Denver Airport is a hub for Frontier Airlines, Great Lakes Airlines, Southwest Airlines and United Airlines. Other airlines that fly to Denver Airport include AeroMéxico, Air Canada, AirTran Airways, Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, American Eagle, British Airways, Delta Air Lines, Icelandair, JetBlue Airways, Lufthansa, Spirit Airlines, US Airways and Volaris.
Cities with flights to Denver Airport include Cancún, Cozumel, Frankfurt, Ixtapa, Mexico City, Montego Bay, Montreal, Puerto Vallarta, Reykjavik, San José del Cabo, Tokyo, Toronto, Vancouver, Winnipeg, plus a long list of domestic destinations.
Your best bet for a Denver Airport transfer is the new airport train. Details on all options are included in this guide.
Or, to truly arrive stress free, treat yourself to a private Denver Airport transfer from IHateTaxis.
Other Items of Interest at Denver Airport
Tip: don't even think about bringing pot home if you've travelled to Colorado to partake in the state's legalized marijuana. Fines are handed out right at the airport.
Services at Denver Airport include:
- RMT Free Phone - free global phone calls (ad supported, 10 minute limit)
- Massage - A and B Gates
- Strollers and car seats available for rent
- Internet and PC Game Cafe - Jeppesen Terminal, A, B and C Gates
- Post office and airport mailers
- UPS and FedEx Drop Boxes - B and C Gates
- Battery charging stations
- Interfaith Chapel and Islamic Prayer Hall - Jeppesen Terminal, Level 6 (24 hours)
- Pet Relief Area
- Rocky Mountain USO Centre
- Gas station on-site
- Look for the gargoyles hiding in suitcases above the exit doors from baggage claim
Layover Tip: DIA is known for a cool pedestrian bridge to Concourse A that allows travelers to view planes taxiing beneath them, so if you have time, walk to Concourse A to have a look.
DIA is famous for some rather controversial art. New Mexico artist Luis Jiménez died during the making of Mustang, the 32 foot (9.8 meter) high blue cast-fiberglass sculpture with red shining eyes near the entrance to the airport property. Murals in the baggage claim area, painted by artist Leo Tanguma, are purported to contain sinister themes and hidden messages (he says they depict man-made environmental destruction, humanity coming together to heal nature - and peace). Just Google 'Denver Airport controversy' if you are intrigued.
Official DEN Denver Airport Website Links
Official DEN Denver Airport Twitter Feed
More Denver Airport Transfer & Airport Connection Options
- Denver Airport Information
- Denver Airport Distance to City Centre
- Denver Airport Currency Exchange
- Denver Airport ATM & Cash Machines
- Denver Airport Wireless Internet Access
- Denver Airport Maps
- Denver Airport Flights, Arrivals, & Airlines
- Denver Airport Taxi Service
- Denver Airport Onsite Hotels
- Denver Airport Private Transfer Services
- Denver Airport Shared Shuttle Transfers
- Denver Airport Location & Address
- Denver Airport Train & Subway
- Denver Airport Hotel Shuttle Transfers
- Denver Airport Shuttle
- Denver Airport Buses & Coaches
- Denver Airport Limo & Private Car Transfers
- Denver Airport Car Hire/Car Rental
- Denver Airport Other Ground Transportation
- Denver Airport Parking & Passenger Pickup
- Denver Airport Stopover & Layovers
- Closest Airports to DEN Denver Airport
- Denver Airport Services & Amenities