GVA Geneva Airport Info & Guide
Where is Geneva Airport? ¬†
Geneva is one of the world's major centres of international diplomacy. It has served as headquarters of the International Committee of the Red Cross, and the United Nations, and is currently home¬†the World Health Organization.
Many tourists bound for Chamonix and Mont Blanc in France pass through the city, as Geneva is the closest airport to Chamonix.
Geneva International Airport (IATA: GVA, ICAO: LSGG), officially Gen√®ve A√©roport, formerly Cointrin Airport, commonly referred to as simply Geneva Airport, is located 4 kilometres (2.5 miles) northwest of Geneva city centre, Switzerland. The airport is partially located within 2 communes, Grand-Saconnex and Meyrin.
GVA's¬†northern limit runs along the border between Switzerland and France. The terminal has been designed so the airport can be accessed from both countries. Passengers on flights to or from France do not have to go through Swiss customs and immigration, if they remain in the French sector of the airport.
In 2012, Geneva Airport served¬†13,899,422 passengers, making it the 31st busiest airport in Europe, and the 2nd busiest in Switzerland - after Z√ľrich International Airport (ZRH).¬†
GVA is a major hub for EasyJet Switzerland and Darwin Airline, and a focus city for Swiss International Air Lines.
Among the other airlines that fly to Geneva Airport are Aegean Airlines, Aer Lingus, Aeroflot, Air Canada, Air China, Air France, Alitalia, British Airways, EgyptAir, El Al, Emirates, Etihad, Flybe, Iberia, KLM, Kuwait Airways, Lufthansa, Pegasus Airlines, Qatar Airways, Royal Air Maroc, Royal Jordanian, Saudia, TAP Portugal, Thomas Cook Airlines, Turkish Airlines, United Airlines and Wizz Air.
Many cities have flights to Geneva, including Abu Dhabi, Amman, Amsterdam, Athens, Barcelona, Beijing, Beirut, Berlin, Brussels, Budapest, Cairo, Casablanca, Doha, Dubai, Frankfurt, Istanbul, Kiev, Kuwait, Lisbon, London, Madrid, Montr√©al, Moscow, Paris, Oslo, Reykjavik, Rome, Tel Aviv, Toronto, Warsaw, Washington DC and Z√ľrich, to name just a few.
Your best bet for a Geneva Airport transfer is the train. Details on all options are included in this guide.
Or, to truly arrive stress free, treat yourself to a private Geneva Airport transfer from IHateTaxis.
Other Items of Interest at Geneva Airport
Services at Geneva Airport include:
- GVAPP - the Geneva Airport app
- Luggage storage¬†- at the Swiss Railways airport station
- 2 children zones - with kitchens, playgrounds, games
- Post office
- Meditation centre - transit zone, near lounges
- ¬† ¬† ¬†Arrivals level in the transit area, near baggage carousel 6
- ¬† ¬† ¬†Departures level in the transit area, near the first class lounges
- ¬† ¬† ¬†Public area near the post office
- Extensive convention facilities
Note that the Geneva Airport is closed from 00:00 to 04:00, and you cannot stay inside the terminal (so no overnight sleeping at his airport!).¬†
Geneva Airport hosts an office of the International Air Transport Association (IATA) and the world headquarters of Airports Council International (ACI).
Official GVA Geneva Airport Website Links
More Geneva Airport Transfer & Airport Connection Options
- Geneva Airport Information
- Geneva Airport Distance to City Centre
- Geneva Airport Currency Exchange
- Geneva Airport ATM & Cash Machines
- Geneva Airport Wireless Internet Access
- Geneva Airport Maps
- Geneva Airport Flights, Arrivals, & Airlines
- Geneva Airport Taxi Service
- Geneva Airport Onsite Hotels
- Geneva Airport Private Transfer Services
- Geneva Airport Shared Shuttle Transfers
- Geneva Airport Location & Address
- Geneva Airport Train & Subway
- Geneva Airport Hotel Shuttle Transfers
- Geneva Airport Shuttle
- Geneva Airport Buses & Coaches
- Geneva Airport Limo & Private Car Transfers
- Geneva Airport Car Hire/Car Rental
- Geneva Airport Other Ground Transportation
- Geneva Airport Parking & Passenger Pickup
- Geneva Airport Stopover & Layovers
- Closest Airports to GVA Geneva Airport
- Geneva Airport Services & Amenities