HAM Hamburg Airport Info & Guide
Where is Hamburg Airport?
Located in northern Germany, Hamburg is the country's biggest port. Germany's 2nd largest city is one of the richest cities in the European Union, with the likes of London and Brussels. And, yes, Hamburg residents are known as "Hamburgers" (they'll appreciate it if you pronounce the a like you're saying "ah", even though the food did get its name here).
Hamburg Airport (IATA: HAM, ICAO: EDDH), also known as Hamburg-Fuhlsbüttel Airport, is 8.5 kilometers (5.3 miles) north of Hamburg city centre, in the Fuhlsbüttel quarter. The terminals, designed by architects Gerkan, Marg, und Partner, have a high, curved ceilings to emulate the shape of a wing.
Passenger traffic in 2012 was 13,697,402 passengers, making Hamburg Airport the 32nd busiest airport in the European Union, and 5th busiest airport in Germany.
Hamburg's other airports are Lübeck-Blankensee Airport (LBC), used by low-cost carriers, and Hamburg-Finkenwerder Airport (XFW), home of the Airbus plant, and the small Hamburg-Uetersen Airport (EDHE), used for flights to nearby islands.
Airlines that fly to Hamburg Airport include Aeroflot, Air Arabia Egypt, airBaltic, Air Berlin, Air France, BMI Regional, British Airways, China Eastern Airlines, Condor, EasyJet, Emirates, Finnair, Germania, Germanwings, Icelandair, Iran Air, KLM, LOT Polish Airlines, Lufthansa, Norwegian Air Shuttle, TAP Portugal, TUIfly, Turkish Airlines, United Airlines and Vueling.
There are flights to Hamburg Airport from Amsterdam, Budapest, Cape Verde, Catania, Dubrovnik, Edinburgh, Istanbul, Larnaca, Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Lisbon, London, Madrid, Malta, Moscow, Naples, New York, Nuremberg, Oslo, Paris, Prague, Reykjavik, Rhodes, Rome, Shanghai, Sharm el-Sheikh, Tehran, Tunis, Venice, Warsaw and Zürich, among many others.
A bit of history: The airport was actually opened in 1911, making Hamburg Airport the oldest airport in the world still in operation. It was used extensively during the Berlin Airlift in 1948 as a staging area, as the northern air corridor went between Hamburg and West Berlin.
Hamburg Airport won Best Airport Europe at the Airport Council International Europe (ACI) 2012 awards, as well as the Best Regional Airport Europe at the 2012 Skytrax World Awards.
There are very good Hamburg Airport transfer options available, including trains and buses. Details are outlined in this guide.
Other Items of Interest at Hamburg Airport
Hamburg Airport is hugely popular with planespotters and aviation enthusiasts, thanks in part to Lufthansa's on-site maintenance hangars which see its fair share of rare and interesting aircraft, as well as a great Airport Lounge, viewing areas and displays in the terminals.
Hamburg Airport services include:
- Duty free
- Coat storage
- Luggage repair
- Conference centre
- Post office
- 2 Hour Dry Cleaning (Terminal 1, Arrivals)
- Chapel (Christian) (Terminal 1)
- Tourist Information
- Airport Model Exhibition: a miniature version of the airport (4 shows daily, 45 minutes, admission EUR 2-5) - the Panorama terrace is free
- Museum plane - an old Boeing 707-430 sits nearby and is used for education purposes
Official HAM Hamburg Airport Website Links
Official HAM Hamburg Airport Twitter Feed
More Hamburg Airport Transfer & Airport Connection Options
- Hamburg Airport Information
- Hamburg Airport Distance to City Centre
- Hamburg Airport Currency Exchange
- Hamburg Airport ATM & Cash Machines
- Hamburg Airport Wireless Internet Access
- Hamburg Airport Maps
- Hamburg Airport Flights, Arrivals, & Airlines
- Hamburg Airport Taxi Service
- Hamburg Airport Onsite Hotels
- Hamburg Airport Private Transfer Services
- Hamburg Airport Shared Shuttle Transfers
- Hamburg Airport Location & Address
- Hamburg Airport Train & Subway
- Hamburg Airport Hotel Shuttle Transfers
- Hamburg Airport Shuttle
- Hamburg Airport Buses & Coaches
- Hamburg Airport Limo & Private Car Transfers
- Hamburg Airport Car Hire/Car Rental
- Hamburg Airport Other Ground Transportation
- Hamburg Airport Parking & Passenger Pickup
- Hamburg Airport Stopover & Layovers
- Closest Airports to HAM Hamburg Airport
- Hamburg Airport Services & Amenities