LHR Heathrow Airport Info & Guide
Where is Heathrow Airport?
London Heathrow Airport (IATA: LHR, ICAO: EGLL), or simply Heathrow Airport, is located west of central London, in the Borough of Hillingdon, England, United Kingdom.
LHR Airport has two parallel east–west runways along with four operational terminals. The newest, Terminal 5, opened in 2008. Construction of a new Terminal 2 complex began in 2009 with the first phase expected to open in June 2014.
In 2012, London Heathrow Airport served 69,983,142 passengers, making it the busiest airport in the European Union, and the 3rd busiest in the world.
Heathrow Airport is the busiest of London's 6 airports, the others being London Gatwick Airport (LGW), London Stansted Airport (STN), London Luton Airport (LTN), London City Airport (LCY) and London Southend (SEN).
Together, Heathrow, Gatwick, Stansted, Luton, London City and Southend, make London the busiest city airport system in the world, with a total of 133,666,888 passengers served in all 6 airports.
Airlines the world over fly to London, and Heathrow Airport is the primary hub of British Airways, BMI and Virgin Atlantic.
The top international cities served from London Heathrow Airport are Amsterdam, Athens, Boston, Chicago, Copenhagen, Delhi, Dubai, Dublin, Frankfurt, Geneva, Hong Kong, Istanbul, Johannesburg, Lisbon, Los Angeles, Madrid, Miami, Mumbai, Munich, New York, Paris, Rome, San Francisco, Singapore, Stockholm, Toronto, Vienna, Washington DC and Zurich. LHR has flights to hundreds more cities.
Your best bet for a London Heathrow Airport transfer is the train. Details on all options are included in this guide.
Or, to truly arrive stress free, treat yourself to a private London Heathrow Airport transfer from IHateTaxis.
Distance from Heathrow Airport to City Center or CBD
The Heathrow Airport GPS position is 51.478° N 0.461° W or 51° 28.650' N 0° 27.683' W.
Heathrow Airport WiFi & Internet
Yes, there is WiFi at Heathrow Airport, but it is a fee-based service, through Boingo.
- Be a smart traveller and be in the know about some Wifi at Heathrow Airport Connection and Security tips before you connect
Other Items of Interest at Heathrow Airport
Allow 16-20 minutes travel time between Heathrow Airport's four terminals. Terminals 1 and 3 are a short walk from each other. Terminals 4 and 5 are served by free trains and buses.
Services at Heathrow Airport include:
- Free power pole charging stations - all departure lounges
- Luggage storage - ground floor, all terminals
- Servisair Executive Lounge (fee) - Terminals 1 and 3
- No.1 Traveller Lounge (fee) - Terminal 3
- Harrod's - all terminals
- Mobile apps
- Cell phone rental
- Postal services - locations of post office and post boxes
- Heathrow Health Centre - D'Albiac House
- Pharmacy - Boots branches before security in Terminals 1 and 5 dispense prescriptions
- Airport Live, episodes of BBC Two production - watch video clips *NEW*
To transfer to Gatwick Airport (LGW) or Stansted Airport (STN), see Travel Between Airports.
Heathrow Airport Departures and Arrivals Airlines
Closest Airports to LHR Heathrow Airport
Official LHR Heathrow Airport Website Links
Official LHR Heathrow Airport Twitter Feed
More Heathrow Airport Transfer & Airport Connection Options
- Heathrow Airport Information
- Heathrow Airport Distance to City Centre
- Heathrow Airport Currency Exchange
- Heathrow Airport ATM & Cash Machines
- Heathrow Airport Wireless Internet Access
- Heathrow Airport Maps
- Heathrow Airport Airline Companies
- Heathrow Airport Taxi Service
- Heathrow Airport Onsite Hotels
- Heathrow Airport Train & Subway
- Heathrow Airport Hotel Shuttle Transfers
- Heathrow Airport Shuttle
- Heathrow Airport Buses & Coaches
- Heathrow Airport Limo & Private Car Transfers
- Heathrow Airport Car Hire/Car Rental
- Heathrow Airport Other Ground Transportation
- Heathrow Airport Parking & Passenger Pickup
- Heathrow Airport Stopover & Layovers
- Closest Airports to LHR Heathrow Airport