Things to do in Edinburgh if you have a Edinburgh Airport Layover or Extended Edinburgh Airport Stopover
If you have an extended layover at the Edinburgh Airport or staying in town, why not consider getting out with some fun activities? We list a few here and there are many more on Edinburgh.LayoverIdeas.com.
Edinburgh is a vibrant and atmospheric city with so much on offer that a short layover will not afford the time to soak up all the culture and ambiance. Here are a few not to be missed places to visit if your time in Edinburgh is short. You are sure to want to head back to this city for more.
Leading down the hill from Edinburgh Castle lies the Royal Mile. As steeped in regal history as it is in the underworld of ages past the Royal Mile holds many secrets of grave diggers and torture chambers and was once home to over 70000 people. The squalor that came from so many people in such a small place was only cleared up in the late 1800s and restored to its former glory. It is certainly worth a visit if you have time to kill in Edinburgh.
The Real Mary King’s Close
Hidden from view under the Royal Mile lies a warren of hidden closes where real people once lived, worked and died just as those above ground did. There are many myths and urban legends about Mary King’s Close so, whether to see life in Scotland as it was centuries ago, or to decide for yourself what happened in this Scottish underworld, Mary King’s Close will hold some fascination for everyone.
Loch Ness Experience
If Scotland is famous for anything, the Loch Ness Monster certainly has to be top of the list. A trip to the Loch Ness Centre will lead you through 7 themed areas and 500 million years of history, natural mystery and legend revealing the unique environment of Loch Ness and the famous Nessie legend in the form of a hi-tech multi-media presentation. This is a great way to spend a few hours if you are in Edinburgh for a short layover and will hold the interest of even the greatest doubters.
Edinburgh is a shoppers paradise with every type of shopping experience available from high street shops to malls packed to the brim with designer attire, the latest gadgets and eateries from around the globe. If you prefer to shop local style then the latest in Scottish fashion can be found on the Royal Mile or for some really quirky souvenirs the historic Grassmarket in the shadow of Edinburgh Castle is the place to go.
As always, make sure you leave plenty of time to get back to EDI Edinburgh Airport in time for your connecting flight. Enjoy your transit city rather than whiling away the time leaning up against your luggage in the departures lounge.
More Edinburgh Airport Transfer & Airport Connection Options
- Edinburgh Airport Information
- Edinburgh Airport Distance to City Centre
- Edinburgh Airport Currency Exchange
- Edinburgh Airport ATM & Cash Machines
- Edinburgh Airport Wireless Internet Access
- Edinburgh Airport Maps
- Edinburgh Airport Flights, Arrivals, & Airlines
- Edinburgh Airport Taxi Service
- Edinburgh Airport Onsite Hotels
- Edinburgh Airport Private Transfer Services
- Edinburgh Airport Shared Shuttle Transfers
- Edinburgh Airport Location & Address
- Edinburgh Airport Train & Subway
- Edinburgh Airport Hotel Shuttle Transfers
- Edinburgh Airport Shuttle
- Edinburgh Airport Buses & Coaches
- Edinburgh Airport Limo & Private Car Transfers
- Edinburgh Airport Car Hire/Car Rental
- Edinburgh Airport Other Ground Transportation
- Edinburgh Airport Parking & Passenger Pickup
- Edinburgh Airport Stopover & Layovers
- Closest Airports to EDI Edinburgh Airport
- Edinburgh Airport Services & Amenities